Finish Product

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Finish Product

Post by Gary Puckett »

I am thinking about trying a water base stain, top coat and hopfully a paint ( not latex).

I have been hearing alot about Becker, I would like to know your thoughts and choises on this subject.

Thanks
Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Finish Product

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gary,

I tried waterborne stains and didn't like them. I may give them another shot sometime though. I have been using dyes a lot and a combination of dies and solvent based wiping stains. I use nothing but waterborne for my topcoats.
I use Oxford waterborne lacquer and sanding sealers as well as their polyurethanes. Their flat lacquer is great, it gives the look of hand rubbed finish.

They have a waterborne pre-catalyzed conversion varnish. I am going to give it a try. As well as a waterborne varnish that produces the same "ambering effect" as an old solvent based varnish.

This is truly great stuff but there is a learning curve. It sprays a little different to solvent based and you must get used to it.

HERE is a link to Target Coatings to get info on these products. They also have a great forum to ask questions on their finishes.

Kerry
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member

Post by Gary Puckett »

Kerry,

Is the reason you didn't like the stains, is that on large pieces it was hard to avoid lap marks because it drys so fast?

Gary
HP Pavilion
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Gary,
Since I live in the desert with a VERY dry climate I can testify that water based stains and glazes can be tough work to apply. You must move VERY quickly to get the shading you desire or it dries. I have only used water based glazes and frankly while it makes the next finishing step happen faster, it is way too much stress to apply for me.
I am with Kerry, I am sticking with solvent based stains and glazes, but in a more humid climate it may be suitable. I do use water based polyurethane with very nice results though.
regards,
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gary,

Yes the overlaps were a problem with the waterborne stains. (even while spraying) You also don't seem to have as much control over the stain. I like to play with the solvent base. wiping more or less, dry brushing highlights etc. it seems harder to do with waterborne.

Kerry
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member

Post by Gary Puckett »

Thanks for all your input.

Gary
HP Pavilion
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor