Construction settings

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Patrick Russell

Construction settings

Post by Patrick Russell »

How does one find the settings on a already saved cabinet other than the size. For instance door overlay and insets. It seems that all settings go back to zero. I forgot some of my setting. Please help.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: Construction settings

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hi Patrick, if you take the cabinet to the appropriate editor, then hilite the part, you should be able to right click and select Construction Settings to get the settings for that particular part.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

If you change the settings when placing items like doors, drawer fronts and drawer boxes; those settings will not be reflected in Construction Settings. It is best to make the settings part of the cabinet instead of the part. Do this by going into Construction Settings BEFORE placing items and entering your settings. Then when you add the item you (a) don't have to change settings for each item and (b) the settings can be seen in Construction Settings.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I din't think it matters when you adjust settings Dan, when you save the cabinet it should retain all the settings. I don't think this is Patrick's issue.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Nope. If you set insets, gaps, clearances, etc when adding doors, drawer fronts and boxes, the values shown in Construction Settings are whatever was set for the cabinet. Try it...start with a standard frameless, add double doors and set the inset, etc during door placement. Go back to Main and check Construction Settings--they will all be default values (0"). Save the cabinet, clear the workspace and load the cabinet...values are all still zeroes--even if you select one of the doors or go into the Door/Drawer Editor.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Looks like your going to the bonus round Dan.
Patrick Russell

Hi Guys
Thanks for the reply. With a seed cabinet the deck, top, back and sides show there settings but the door setting show all zero. I guess I'm just going to have keep up with what my setting are Thanks
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

Hi Patrick,when you take your cabinet to the main cabinet editor and click on construction settings open the add door/drawer tab and adjust your reveals/insets here.Make sure you press O.K. before exiting !
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

You will get the same settings window from the Door- Drawer editor. Just remember to add your settings first, then add your Door -Drawer.

Thanks Dan for the clarification.
Al dedenus
Guru Member

Post by Al dedenus »

you will get the same settings window in the door drawer editor but as Dan says they will always revert to what is set in the construction settings in the main editor
Patrick Russell

Thanks guys,
But I think I'm confusing everyone. I know how to create cabinet. It's getting information from a cabinet that's already save. Lets say you forgot some inset and overlay setting you made on a door of a seed cabinet, so you go to construction setting and click on the door/drawer tab, the setting are all zero. I know this is a odd question. But after making and saving many different size cabinets you might get to point that you can't remember all the different setting you made on your cabinets, All I want to do is be able to pull up a saved cabinet and get all the settings and sizes from it, and it seem to be just with the door and drawer settings that I can't get information on other then the size.
Al dedenus
Guru Member

Post by Al dedenus »

OK lets start from the begining.When you first loaded your seed cabinet sounds like you took it to the door/drawer editor .While there you opened the construction settings, made the changes you wanted,applied the doors/drawers,went back to the cabinet editor and saved your cabinet.Problem is the construction settings will defalt to what was orignally set in the cabinet editor NOT the changes you made in the door /drawwer editor.Sooooo, what you should have done is make any changes (that you want to permanently stay with that cabinet) while going to construction settings in the cabinet editor NOT the door /drawer editor.Then every time you open that cabinet the changes you made will be there in the construction settings.Otherwise,yes the cabinet changes will be saved but will not show in the construction setting.(which will default to the original cabinet that was loaded in the cabinet editor.Confused?? Dan and Rick may be able to explain it more clearly but I"m pretty sure thats the way it is. :beer:
Al dedenus
Guru Member

Post by Al dedenus »

Well I put you wrong in that last post!!Totally wrong,knew I shouldn't have had those two glasses of wine before I posted it .what I should have said is you have to make the changes in construction settings to be permanant not just in the dialogue boxes that come up when you add a door/drw.Sorry bout that.Think I need that third wine :lol:
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

All and Rick are correct...you have to make changes to Construction Settings in the Cabinet Editor BEFORE adding doors, drawers, etc. If you set the values in the dialog box when adding the item, it is for THAT ITEM ONLY and you will only see default values in Construction Settings.

Try this:

1. Open Standard Base Frameless.
2. Open Construction Settings in the Main workspace.
3. Change door inset, gaps, etc.
4. Add a double door WITHOUT ENTERING ANYTHING IN THE DIALOG BOX.
5. Save the cabinet.
6. Clear the workspace.
7. Open the cabinet you just saved.
8. Open Construction Settings.

The values you enter before will still be present.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Ok, we all get the gist of it. Don't you think it's a little strange that only this editor works like that?