Wireframe not working properly

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Ted Illi
Company Name: Vanity Fair Custom Cabinetry

Wireframe not working properly

Post by Ted Illi »

Good day Gentlemen,

Well this will be my first post! I’m a newbie, very new! I loaded the program yesterday and got started by going through the user manual and video tutorials. My first impression is it's great! I got most of the basics down in an afternoon and find thing to be very user friendly. I'll sure I’ll have lots of questions as I get farther into things but I’m very happy with my progress so far.

I'm having an issue with the wireframe function. Not in its use but with the graphics. When I pick a cabinet from the library (hot key L) and enter it for placement on a wall the wireframe representation image is not defined clearly when it appears on the screen, and when I attempt to move it with he cursor it sides leaving a trail (as wide as the frame) of the green color on the screen. It color remains leaving a mess all over the screen. Second, the frame is very hard to see and, does not snap to the wall properly (as displayed in the video tutorials.) It sort of works but for sure isn’t right. FYI. I have a new PC with lots of ram. My response time is great. The clarity of graphics of everything but the wireframe is fine. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Ted
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Re: Wireframe not working properly

Post by Rick Deskins »

What video card are you using? Have you installed the latest video card drivers? What is the hardware acceleration settings do you have set for your video card?
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Ted Illi

Post by Ted Illi »

Rick Deskins wrote:What video card are you using? Have you installed the latest video card drivers? What is the hardware acceleration settings do you have set for your video card?

Thanks very much for the reply. "I'm not a smart man Jenny" especially when it comes to the workings of a PC. Based on what I know the present card is an Intel R g45/43 Express chip set. The card has the latest divers installed and I'm not sure about the acceleration setting.I could not find where that information is located.

Reading further into the manuals and in this form it would appear that I will need to do some upgrading. I checked with the local PC store and the recommended Vidia Quadro FX 3500 card graphics is around $500. He mentioned the card may be a bit of an “over kill” based on the fact that I’m only having minor problems. Are there substitutes? What would be your recommendations based on me being a small shop doing high end custom work and will probably outsource details until purchase of a machine becomes justifiable. Oncew again thanks
Ted
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Wire frame not working properly

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Ted,

To adjust the hardware acceleration,

Right click anywhere on your desktop then choose Properties from the right click menu
Click on the Settings tab
Click on the Advanced button
Click on the Troubleshoot tab
Move the Hardware acceleration slider to none and click OK
If this cures the problem with the trails then you can go back and increase the acceleration one notch at a time until the problem starts again.
Leave the acceleration on the notch right before the problem starts again.

Kerry
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

You would see a perforance gain when working with large jobs by upgrading your video card. Any of the newer Geforce or ATI cards with 256mb Ram or higher and 256-bit or higher memory interface. Do you know if you have an agp slot or pci express? If you have pci express, something like this would do you plenty.

GeForce 9800 GTX+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130339

Bottomline, $100 to $200 desktop video card would do you good without having to step up to a workstation class card. Note, you should find out what your power supply is rated at. The better video cards tend to need a lot of power. I'm only running with a Geforce 7600GS.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

I tried your suggestion Kerry because I have always had trails. As soon as I got to the no acceleration and the notch above I couldn't get back into eCabs.

OK, played around some. I have to set mine 1 notch above none. I had to restart eCabs everytime I changed my setting on the acceleration.

Now, is there a way to get the computer to have this as a default setting for eCabs only? Have the acceleration get knocked down when I open the program and go to full when it is closed again?
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com
Ted Illi

Post by Ted Illi »

The help is most appreciated.

I adjusted the Acceleration Hardware as instructed and the trails disappeared. What a difference!! Thanks Kerry the instructions were fine. So far I see no issues. ECab as well as other applications seem to boot and run fine.

Rick I do have PCI Express. I did some shopping locally for the cards you recommended and found I can purchase them a whole lot cheaper on line. I’ll stay the way I am for now and upgrade if I get real slow or have other issues relating to my present card. I’m going to be getting a new laptop soon and I’ll negotiate a good graphics card when I make that purchase.

Once again thanks to all and have a great weekend.
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

I lowered my graphics acceleration and when I went to spin a cabinet in the CE it slowly chopped along taking its sweet time to spin. I'll deal with the trails rather than wait for the cabinets to spin.
Dell Precision 7710
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Leo,

Go to preferences and lower your level of detail settings for the cabinet editor.

Kerry
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Only problem with that Kerry is that by lowering my graphics acceleration it affects my computer globally. If the only thing I ran on my laptop was eCabs this wouldn't be a problem. But I have many other programs that require the graphics to be at its fastest. I have chosen to compromise, I can live with the trails. I have been dealing with them since I got the program so nothing really has changed for me. If I didn't have to lower it so much I would have probably chosen to keep it. But I was left with just the basics. My desktop has a faster video card and I don't get trails there. But I can't upgrade my (DELL Inspiron 9400 laptop) with a new graphics card. When I got it, it was for trade. I did some work for one of my family members, who has a computer business, in exchange for the laptop. And even though I insisted I wanted the upgraded graphics card he couldn't understand why, and ordered it with the standard on board graphics. So I am stuck with what I have until I decide I want to upgrade.

But it was an interesting experiment. I'm glad I tried it, I just wish I could have kept it running.

Happy Friday :beer:
Dell Precision 7710
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
Win 7 Pro 64-bit