Melamine project glue?

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Melamine project glue?

Post by Peter Walsh »

I have a project that requires the cab insides to be melamine surfaced. What glues are you guys using that will bind this material for cab assembly? What are the drying/assembly times like?
thanks,
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Melamine project glue?

Post by Brian Shannon »

Hey Peter,

I use RooClear (RooGlue) from Roo Products. www.rooglue.com Setting time: 4 hrs, Assebly time: 20 minutes. Maybe less in P.S.. I get it from Luios and Co. or MacPac.

Brian
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hi Peter, what type of joinery do you plan on using?
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Rick,
Ordinarily, I use butt joinery on the sides, bottom and top, glued and nailed gunned. The back is dadoed, glued and nailed.
I exclusively use face frames, and they are also glued and either nailed or with biscuits (depending on my mood at the time).
thanks,
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Peter I am trying to understand your query. When you say melamine do you mean melamine foil or are you talking about something like Formica?, What is it you are trying to laminate onto. i.e. what are the cases made of? Can you not laminate the sheet material before cutting and assembling?
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Nick,
I am considering using a pre-finished sheet stock for the interiors of the cabinets. One sheet stock is Melamine foil coated (both sides) and the other is using a Formica type product (both sides). Right now, I am leaning toward the Formica product because of its durability. ALL the coatings will be applied prior to my receipt of the sheet goods. I am not interested in getting into the surface coating biz (or activities) and learning the techniques.
My cabs are typically assembled using glued butt joinery with nailing, and a rabbited back glued and nailed, with a face frame glued with biscuits or nails.
Peter
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Peter Walsh wrote:Nick,
I am considering using a pre-finished sheet stock for the interiors of the cabinets. One sheet stock is Melamine foil coated (both sides) and the other is using a Formica type product (both sides). Right now, I am leaning toward the Formica product because of its durability. ALL the coatings will be applied prior to my receipt of the sheet goods. I am not interested in getting into the surface coating biz (or activities) and learning the techniques.
My cabs are typically assembled using glued butt joinery with nailing, and a rabbited back glued and nailed, with a face frame glued with biscuits or nails.
Peter
Peter -- If you are going with a prefinished material I would biscuit or screw or dowel the cases together. I glue and nail but I also rabbet top and bottom and back of the side gables. If you are just using butt joints I think they require more.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Wally,
Thanks for the assembly tips. This will be my first project with this stuff. I usually only work with hard woods and veneered ply for the libraries I build. Biscuits or dowels, good suggestions......can do both.
regards,
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Peter,
The melamine construction is the only way we do things in Australia and many other European countries.
There is a melamine glue that is designed to glue non porus materials together. Its like a PVA but has a rubbery feel about it.
You might think this is slack but we only pin and screw our cabinets together as we use applied ends everywhere. I do use what I call the blind Dado if I have both sides seen IE no applied panels.
I have lately been pulling out older cabinets that have been made this way and they have lasted the test of time.
I guess its up to you what you feel comfortable giving the public with your name on it.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Neville,
Thanks for the word from down under.
It's clear I have to use more robust fastening than with plain wood. What is the name of the glue you use?
regards,
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Peter,
The glue is made by Bostik called AV 56. Is water based and has a assembly time of 20mines at 25C and Clamp time of 4hrs
I have cut this from their web site.

AV 56, Melamine Laminating Board Adhesive 5lt

AV56 is an emulsion based adhesive for the bonding of synthetic laminated board to timber, particle board, Craftwood and other semi-porous surfaces. It is an excellent adhesive for a variety of laminates including DAP, Melamine and vinyl coated board. AV56 Clear is an unfilled version for applications requiring a clear glue line. Application and usage detail are the same as for AV56 Off White.

If Bostik is not sold in the US give me a few names of glue manufacturers as I'm sure to have their versions available.
Regards
Neville
Neville Australia
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Peter Walsh wrote:Neville,
Thanks for the word from down under.
It's clear I have to use more robust fastening than with plain wood. What is the name of the glue you use?
regards,
Peter -- I forgot to mention the glue that I use. It is TiteBond Melamine glue and is very good. I have also used Roo glue and it was quite good too.
http://www.richelieu.com/produit/detail ... o=15004016
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Wally,
Thanks. I'll check up on TiteBond. Their full line is sold here. I didn't know they made this product.
Thanks again.
regards,
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

Been in the industry for over 20 years in Australia, and travelled to countless joineries working for Microvellum as a tech. and I have never seen RooGlue used anywhere by anyone in Australia. Pretty funny seeing as it allegedly originatyed here:)
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Jason,
I think you may have touched on a "sticky" subject.
regards,