Adding Possitive edge banding

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jay Davidson
Company Name: Davidson Industries INC

Adding Possitive edge banding

Post by Jay Davidson »

I know how to add edge banding to my cabinets, which thermwood adjust for and cuts the panels that much smaller. But i have run into a situation where i need to add possive edge badning rather than having thermwood take off the thickness of the edge banding.

Here is my situation: My edge banding guy wants to pre-mill between .030 - .040 off each edge that need banding in order to make sure the edges are nice and clean. My edge banding is .015 thick. The problem is even if i add zero thickness edge banding to my parts I still need an extra .015 to pre mill off.

So is there any way to add possitive thickness to the edge banding rather than having the machine take the edge banding off the total size.
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Re: Adding Possitive edge banding

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

You can use negative insets for the edges you need the extra material on. For example, if you want an extra .015 on the front of the cabinet so it can be pre-milled on an edgebander, put a front inset of -.015 on your part.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Since someone else is doing the edgebanding for you, I think that leaving the edgebanding off would be an option. If the edgebanding is only on the front edge of the parts, you could increase the depth of the cabinet, if need be to allow for that .030-.040 clean up cut.
Jay Davidson
Company Name: Davidson Industries INC

Post by Jay Davidson »

I was hoping there was a way to get around having to put in a number greater than 0 on creating a new banding stock. That way If I wanted to change something globally quickly I could do so. Any ideas on that front?
Chris Harmon
Company Name: Azure Cabinets

Post by Chris Harmon »

Jay put 0 on the thickness as your banding thickness. Most .5 mil edge banding is .020 thick with the glue line. That means that you have two options. Option 1 - ask your edge bander to only pre mill .020 . Option 2- if your edge bander pre mills .030 your part will only be .010 smaller that is and acceptable tolerance.