TV or not TV

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Keith Neal
Company Name: Wilbedone Inc.

TV or not TV

Post by Keith Neal »

Wow, our brilliant government has made my television worthless except for watching dvds(and occasionally breaking out the ol'atari2600).They mandated all television reception was to be digital,great for city folks.I got the converter box only to find that we we were in a "digital dead zone" between larger hills and valleys. I guess I could subscribe to a satellite service but that would require me building a tower to get the thing above the thick canopy of trees that completly cover my property(tried dss once but wasn't worth paying for something that cannot pick up reception through the trees.)or watch reruns on the net at work(in town) during break if I take one(we don't even get dsl internet up our way!)It's not really that bad,I only really watched the news and weather(nice to know when a storm is coming)but I guess it just irritates me that our government is fixing what wasn't broke. :fire:
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: TV or not TV

Post by DanEpps »

Hey, you could always move from Upstate down to Manhattan...you wouldn't even need TV to be entertained there. :joker:
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Keith,

I have a friend in the cable TV and telecommunications industry. He told me that television manufacturers and the cable industry have lobbied the government for years to get the digital mandate. With the invent of HDTV being slow to catch on this was their way to force people into the digital era and get rid of all the analog signals and CRT screens. This will allow the broadcasters and cable companies to finally broadcast in one form, digital, and also it will boost sagging electronic sales by forcing people to update their old TV.s that seem to last forever. This was a tough changeover for some of the smaller companies but a great benefit for the big guys. In other words this was profit driven not government driven. He said this has been in the works from the first time you ever heard of HDTV.

Kerry
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Keith, that's strange that the tower that broadcast analog isn't being used for digital with essentially the same coverage.
I would contact the station. In extreme, file a complaint with the FCC noticing them the station has reduced coverage without notice or modification of their license. A simple letter (certified mail) will do.
Always gets a big reaction because the FCC immediately forwards the complaint to the station. (I was in the broadcasting biz for several years).
regards,
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You can also file a complaint online at http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

The only problem is that the digital signal is straight-line while analog signals could bounce off of objects (buildings, clouds, etc). With large hills, trees, etc between you and the antenna, the signal will likely be blocked.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Keith,
Maybe you should do a google on slingbox or look at the you tube video's.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G1xP7Lb_G8
This allows you to view TV stations or pay TV via a internet connection, a wireless connection or 3G phone. The catch is having a decent internet connection and having a friend who will allow you to leave the sling box at his home.
I haven't got one but it looks pretty good to me. You can even control the selection of channels you want with a remote control at the remote location.

You could send me one and I'll broadcast Aussie TV back to you if you like. You will have to turn your TV upside down to watch it and factor in the 12 hr time difference. :lol:

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Jay Davidson
Company Name: Davidson Industries INC

Post by Jay Davidson »

I just moved into a new house and I am not getting cable or anything. I feel the prices are too expensive and having now to buy a new TV is a big waist of money. If all you are going to do it get the news and weather internet is the answer! Or I believe there is a way to get TV through your internet. Me, I just assume read a book :)
Keith Neal
Company Name: Wilbedone Inc.

Post by Keith Neal »

We have a new high end housing development being put in five miles up our road,rumour had it that they are actually going to run broadband internet(we can only get dialup now.) I've actually accomplished more reading due to the changeover(books 1-7 of the Wheel of Time series) and my garden has fewer weeds than ever!
Jay Davidson
Company Name: Davidson Industries INC

TV = goo brains

Post by Jay Davidson »

You sound about like me! I've read 75+ books in the last 3 years from either not having a TV or not turning the TV on. I feel like I am much smarter, think faster, and my memory has improved since I have started reading instead of watching TV. I think those TV commercials with the aliens that are turning people's brains into goo is true :) and my yard and garden too nice too!
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Dont feel alone, they are doing the same thing here and are supposed to go digital by the time of the 2010 soccer world cup which we are hosting. Of course this move effects the poor who have analogue units and can not afford to switch. I have just been able to acquire satellite TV for nothing by tapping into my sisters decoder, what a lot of rubbish, not really worth watching besided the fact that it is just endless repeats! Better to read a book as you say.