KD Rafix boring bits

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Jason Rains

KD Rafix boring bits

Post by Jason Rains »

Hi guys, We are getting into machining closet system parts and need some router bits to bore 10mm & 20mm for the Rafix connectors. Does anyone know where to find both of these with carbide tipped cutters? I have been looking and only found the 20mm on Hafele. I realize they will require an adapter to run on the CNC. Any help is appreciated. Thanks J
James Lovell
Company Name: Can-Am Specialties

Re: KD Rafix boring bits

Post by James Lovell »

I used to program a Komo machine, where we used alot of rafix connectors. The 20mm bit we used was the one provided from hafele. Assuming you are going to be using the 2 posts rafix connectors, we just simpley used a 10mm drill via our drill bank. The carbide tips available, I dont think so. We never ran into a problem or unusual wear on ours.
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Jason, are you using a Thermwood router? if so you do not need 10mm and 20mm bits as the router will cut the holes as a pocket using a smaller bit. 8)
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

The router will cut the hole without the dedicated tool but you will not be able to use the flush mount rafix connectors. I purchased my tooling from Hafele and it works great. (I personally prefer the rafix connecters that are flush fit) You will have to tweak the daylite value a little to fine tune the tool but you will be glad you purchased it. Also make sure to get the 10mm collet with the tool if you don't already have one.
Damon Nabors
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Hi All,

I had a machinist make these collet inserts to hold a 10mm shank with a set screw. It fits in an 3/4" collet. If you use a standard 10mm collet it will colapse into the flat area of the shank and may cause damage if the tool comes out.

Forrest
Attachments
01-12-07_1745.jpg
01-12-07_1745.jpg (15.99 KiB) Viewed 20889 times
01-12-07_1744.jpg
01-12-07_1744.jpg (16.43 KiB) Viewed 20889 times
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

If you go to Grainger you can find several options for interchangeable collets. We call them "extensions", but I couldn't find anything in the search that matched "router extensions" or other search variants. I did find, as an example, the below option. This one has a 1/2" shank and takes ER11 collets from .020 to .275. I think that there are two advantages to using this type of system. One, the ability to use interchangeable collets similar to the ones you use on your machine. And, second, the assembly would be balanced or more so than a shaft with a set screw, though that is likely not off by much. The obvious disadvantage may be cost. The one shown is $128, but then I don't know the cost of machining the previous example. There are other variants to this extension. Another good source for information that I have found in the past is a good Grainger salesman; the other might be to visit a machinist and see what he/she does. Remember they've been machining materials for eons. Using a CNC router is a relatively new experience to many. Thermwood first introduced this concept in the late 60's/early 70's. Of course, another good source for info is Thermwood. We've encountered most of the problems and issues that you have. We do sell router bits, I'm not sure if this extension is available through us.

Collet Chuck,0.020-0.275,ER11,0.5 In
Collet Chuck, Straight Shank, Capacity 0.020-0.275, ER11, Shank Dia 0.5 In, Shank Length 5.5 In, Overall Length 6.75 In, Nut 0.615 In, Dia 2.9 In
>More Details... PARLEC
ER11-500-6H 1 1-3 Days $128.70 3050
Attachments
Router Extension.jpg
Router Extension.jpg (3.4 KiB) Viewed 21067 times
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Hafele sells the extension also.
Damon Nabors
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

The inserts were tested for balance at 24k rpms and found to be so close that it was a non issue. If the router was that sensitive would the fact the bit itself is missing part of its side not create a problem as well?

These inserts cost me $10 each and have lasted 5 years.

If anyone wants some let me know.

Forrest