Tall Cabinet

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

John J. Desmond
Company Name: American Millwork Company

Tall Cabinet

Post by John J. Desmond »

I have a tall cabinet which has sides that are 103" tall. How do I make this into two pieces without making it two cabinets? If I can make two pieces then I can corrigate them together from the outside. They are unfinished sides. Is there a way to do this? I am making the cabinet with blind dados and having them cut on a Thermwood CNC. I am afraid that if I make the side short and add a display panel that it would affect the blind dados. What say you experts?

John
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Tall Cabinet

Post by Joe Dusel »

I'm having a hard time understanding what you are trying to do. What do you mean "corrigate" them together? I would just either find a source for 10' sheet material and make a great big cabinet, or make it two separate cabinets. You can combine the two cabinets into an assembly.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
John J. Desmond

Where I work we make the side in two pieces and glue them together and we use corrigated staples (in picture) to hold it together. It makes it much easier this way. I am just trying to avoid making two cabinets. I may not be able to avoid it.
xo4_6nra.jpg
xo4_6nra.jpg (71.37 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
John
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

John,

We do this also when 120" material is not available. We either preglue up the desired length or trim the ends for a tight joint and butt both pieces on the router. Create the longer material in ecabs and change those parts to the longer material.

Forrest
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

That's a tall cab. Since I work alone, I would have made that into two cabs. In addition, tall cabs in one piece can often be impossible to set in place after carrying them in horizontally. The diagonal is much longer than the straight side when raising the unit up. Two cabs allows you to slide the top cab into place with a snug fit to the ceiling line. Also, a break line with trim (for me, usually at rolling ladder height) makes the cab more interesting visually (but is more work, undeniably).
regards,
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

Look at my tall cab 30 x 103 x 24
If you tilled it from the front with a 5"toe kick the ceiling needs to be 105" that will give you a 1/8" to play with :lol:
Here is the cabinet it is all one tall cabinet
The sides are partitions
Attachments
Tall Framed_30 x 103 x 24.zip
(333.65 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (74.64 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (49.83 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
John J. Desmond

Ok'!, Ok!, I have to admit, making two cabinets is not as bad as I thought. :oops: It does seem to be better. Thanks guys for giving me room to grow in my abilities and understanding. Thanks for the advice. :D
Oven Cabinet.jpg
Oven Cabinet.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 5099 times
John