free door program

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

free door program

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Has anyone used this free mdf door program. I see that it produces shopbot code as well as G code and dxf. Just wondering if there are any major glitches.
Thanks,
Forrest

http://home.centurytel.net/bwclark/
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Re: free door program

Post by Nick M Singer »

I see a problem already Forrest, it seems to be only Imperial.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

That is not really a problem on this side of the pond.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

I figured with the addition of shopbot guys someone would have used this program. It seems to be geared a little toward shopbot. Maybe ecabs will have better mdf doors and panels in V6 and it won't matter anyway.

Forrest
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Forrest,
Don't hold your breath on MDF doors in version 6. We all know how hard it is to program when Thermwood programmers are currently pulled in all directions. There is a list of features listed somewhere for ver 6 but doors is not one of them :(
Maybe the writer of the free door program would be willing to make it open source. There seem to be a lot of ex computer industry guys on the Thermwood forum so maybe one would like to take it on as a project.
There is always enroute, Mastercam and artcam but add the cost of those programs plus the post processor and you can see why so many are waiting for Thermwood to do something. Those programs mentioned are not parametric.
Best of luck

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Hi Neville,

Here's hoping. I have CV right now to do mdf doors and panels but it would be nice to do them from ecabs. I'm trying to ween myself from CV and go solely with ecabs but there are just a few features I can't be without. I can't even remember how often I've ask for more mdf capabilities. It seems it would have been a priority from V3 on. I also found with the current economy that clients are going more and more with routed doors over 5 pc. wood. So I guess I'll keep holding my breath.

Forrest

By the way the guys who created the door program mentioned on their website incorporating it in other software.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Forrest,
Yes I agree with you about the MDF doors. They are a big thing for us down under with most people having them either vinyl/foil wrapped or two pack painted. There are some easy doors it can do but even with them there is a few quirks that make it unusable.
We are like you, use a legacy software to do our doors but the trade-off is you can't record or use your off fall as the legacy program creates all the Gcode.
I'm half Ecabinets and half CW so I feel like Jekyll and Hyde sometimes. My main excuse for not switching is the costing which I'm not that happy with but I think I have a alternative database program that is a little different from the rest which will speed up my estimating.
I think Damon Nabors was looking at a similar program if not the same. Not sure if he has used it as he bought Enroute or Artcam to do doors.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Unless they changed the program in the last few months. It will not work. I emailed the program to Justin prior to his layoff and he could not get it to work either.
Damon Nabors
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Hi Guys,

Ken made mention in This Post of a beefed up MDF Door package.

I don't know if it is the works for V6 but may be.

Kerry
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Neville Bastian wrote:Hi Forrest,
Maybe the writer of the free door program would be willing to make it open source. There seem to be a lot of ex computer industry guys on the Thermwood forum so maybe one would like to take it on as a project.

It is open source. When you install it it creates a directory with the source C files.
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Guys...
I hope you dont mind me sticking my head in here, but I may have some info for you on this subject. The program Free Doors was written by Mike Richards and is open source. The GUI was written and is maintained by Bruce Clark. Free but not open source. There may be ways that those so inclined may be able to adapt this to Thermwood and its version of G Code. I spoke to Mike today and he told me that converters have been made and he didnt think that it would take more than a couple hours to fit this to your application. There are also a couple requirements about modifications and subsequent republishing that I wont get into.

Here is the post describing it on the ShopBot Forum: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messag ... 1242671690

Each principals email may be accessed by clicking on his user name to the left to view the profile.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support