A real Lounge question on site seeing in the East coast

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Re: A real Lounge question on site seeing in the East coast

Post by Neville Bastian »

Yeah Dean, Tell me about it. Last year about 11pm my GPS said turn right and I ended up on a highway off ramp. The drivers coming down the ramp were very thoughtful giving me horn blast to let me know my error.
I did find highway driving easy but when driving in the suburbs I couldn't lapse into auto mode as I would head towards the left. Why the world let this happen. The UN should throw up a coin and make it left or right.
So Dean, no furniture shows in October?
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Neville,

All civilized nations of the world drive on the right side of the road and use Imperial units of measure.

Kerry
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Neville, you're welcome to stop by the shop here (in northeastern Georgia)

Can't say there's a lot going on in the immediate vicinity. Well, we do have the Atlanta Dragway a few minutes down the road. They have car shows there a lot, and races every weekend. Got a 2nd place trophy from there for racing our '70 Chevelle.

Also not too far away is Gatlinburg Tennessee, where it seems to be a perpetual car show.

Or we could just go out and have a beer. I'm always looking for an excuse to do that. And hey, Foster's just happens to be my favorite beer. :lol:

Oh, and around here, you can drive on whichever side of the road you want to. Hell, everyone else does! :wink:
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Jeremy Schiffer wrote:...Oh, and around here, you can drive on whichever side of the road you want to. Hell, everyone else does! :wink:
What roads? There ain't no roads in your neck of the woods. :joker: At least folks probably drive faster than 20MPH there, unlike here.
Can't say there's a lot going on in the immediate vicinity. Well, we do have the Atlanta Dragway a few minutes down the road. They have car shows there a lot, and races every weekend. Got a 2nd place trophy from there for racing our '70 Chevelle.
Oh yeah, Dennis Panoz owns Road Atlanta and you can go there and drive a road car (for a phenominal fee of course) on the track. It's a race school type of thing.
Also not too far away is Gatlinburg Tennessee, where it seems to be a perpetual car show.
Let's see, Shades of The Past is September 11-12 and the Fall Grand Rod Run is September 18-20...both a bit earlier than you will be here.

That's really about it for shows in this area in September.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll be certainly keen to have a beer with some of you but I'm not sure on the Fosters. When in Rome drink what the Romans drink. I'll be asking for Bud. Ha ha. There is no beer in Australia called Fosters. The Brewery is Fosters but they make other brands which they sell locally VB, Carlton Draught, Foster's Lager, Crown Lager and Carlton Cold . We had one Brewery here who started making a Homer Simpson Duff beer which was popular. It took awhile before 20th Century Fox spoiled the party. They slapped them with a legal letter and it stopped. The remaining stocks were snapped up as collectors items some asking $500.00 a can.

Its a shame I will be too late for the car shows as I fly in to Newark on the 20th about 5.30pm but I leave Melbourne about 6am on the 20th. Fast trip hey.

I hope to hire/rent a new model V8 Camaro . They seem a little hard to find although Avis have a few although not listed. Maybe I when I get there they will be Ho Hum and easier to rent.

I haven't yet worked out my route but hopefully I will see a few of you on the trip. Jason has said I can use the lunch room at Thermwood to sleep overnight in so I'm over the moon about that. I'm going to pinch a copy of version 6 if I make it there.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

You know, lots of places have street rod cruise-ins through October. I'll see if I can't find a good list that is somewhat along your route. Most are on a Friday or Saturday. Our local one is the second Saturday of each month. I'll be heading out to Somerset Kentucky in a couple of weeks for a HUGE cruise-in they have on the fourth Saturday each month. Actually, the Somernites Cruise-in (as they call it) starts on Thursday and runs through Saturday night. They usually draw upwards of 1500 street rods from around the country.

I'm looking forward to going but it will be a long drive in my 1927 Ford roadster. It is a four hour drive in a normal car but the roadster doesn't ride well enough to drive that far nonstop so I figure it will take me six hours. :lol:
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

You wouldn't believe how many roads we have around here, Dan... some of them are even paved! They paved our road about two years ago. I kinda miss the dirt road, but it sure is easier on the vehicles. Now, if we could just get that whole indoor plumbing thing worked out. :lol:

Regarding the car shows, I haven't checked but it seems like the Atlanta dragway has some show in late Sept. early Oct... I'll try to find out. And blechh... most American beer is like sex in a canoe. (f***ing close to water)

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I'm glad they started paving over there and the indoor plumbing thins is sure to be a hit. :joker: On top of all that, you don't have to use soup cans and string to connect to the internet any more, eh?
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Jeremy Schiffer wrote:...Regarding the car shows, I haven't checked but it seems like the Atlanta dragway has some show in late Sept. early Oct...
Here is a link to the schedule...looks like they had a show in June but I didn't see anything else. http://www.atlantadragway.com/apcm/temp ... 20Schedule
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester

Oftentimes they have car shows along with the events other than the normal Fri. & Sat. "test & tune" or whatever they call it. Course, I wouldn't plan a trip around a "maybe", unless Neville also happens to like drag racing... really though, who doesn't? You know what they say, if you're able to make a left turn, you're going too slow!

And yeah, my strings and cans are now just cans without strings. I use one of those cellular modems. WHEN and IF it works, it's about half as fast as DSL, or about 293,042 times faster than dial-up. Though lately it seems to spend more time looking for service (just like my phone) and less time actually working. Ah, but what a deal for $65 a month! :roll:

CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Our local utility started providing fiber-to-the-house a few years ago. I gave them time to mature and work out the kinks and switched about a year and a half ago. I haven't looked back since...I get 10Mbs BOTH WAYS and great cable service for far less than I was paying before. I'm thinking about switching my landline phone service to them as well (if I even keep landline).

Sorry Neville, I sort of hijacked your thread. :oops:
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

That's OK Dan. This is the lounge area. No rules. Can you pass me another beer thanks mate.

We have ADSL but its a bit hit and miss who gets it. In some cases the phone exchange has all the lines taken but the phone company makes a economic decision and says there won't be enough extra users to make the upgrade viable. At my exchange it is 8 mbs but some exchanges has 12 mbs (ADSL2)although it could be higher if they switched a switch. Its all down to money.
I also have wireless broadband as a stand by but the latency is pretty bad, if you wish to use voip.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia