Printers

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Printers

Post by George Davidson »

I was looking at a Photo printer for my house design program.All they need to be is in black and white
but I need a larger paper size 13"x19"
Epson 1400 wide-format Reg $299.99 on sale starting Sunday at staples for $179.98
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/ ... &langId=-1
I would like to know if Epson is OK I need 13"x 19" size paper
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Printers

Post by DanEpps »

Epson is the defacto standard in printers...just about any printer uses Epson protocol to communicate. They are good printers but in my experience, the ink cartriges will dry out if you do not use the frequently. When the ink cartridge dries out, it also dries in the nozzles and the printer cannot be salvaged...you just toss it and buy another.

There just aren't many alternatives when it comes to wide format printers unless you are willing to pay upwards of $2000 or so. All collectable art prints (giclee prints) are done on Epson printers, just to give you an idea of the output quality. Of course those printers are outrageously expensive.

I would say that for the price, and if you plan on using the printer fairly often, you would probably be okay. Just be aware that once the ink dries in the nozzles you will have to replace the printer.
Perry Pravettone
Company Name: Unemployed Manager

Post by Perry Pravettone »

I would say that for the price, and if you plan on using the printer fairly often, you would probably be okay. Just be aware that once the ink dries in the nozzles you will have to replace the printer.[/quote]

You got that right Dan.I had it happen to me. :cry:
Perry Pravettone
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

The last Epson wide format I bought (A2) had a replaceable print head. Printers like the HP or Lexmark have the nozzels integrated into the cartridge so no problem there.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Perry Pravettone wrote:You got that right Dan.I had it happen to me. :cry:
I've had it happen several times to the point that I will not buy an Epson any more. I love their printers but I hate having to toss a printer just because I didn't use it often enough.

I'm the type that finds something that I'm happy with and stick with it. I wore the same brand and style of jeans for 40 years but I just can't find them any more, so I switched to another brand. I used nothing but Epson printers from the time they hit the market about 30 years ago until they changed their print head design and I had to toss them. Color lasers are so cheap now that all I use is a laser. The problem there is that toner replacement is pretty expensive--about $250 to replace all four cartridges. The color lasers are almost cheap enough to toss the printer when its time to replace toner cartridges. Its about the same with ink jets and the price of ink cartridges--replacement ink costs almost as much as a new printer.