CN5.48-CUT THROUGH POCKET RADIUS

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

mohan kommineni
Company Name: ADP STORE FIXTURES

CN5.48-CUT THROUGH POCKET RADIUS

Post by mohan kommineni »

hi all
we are facing a problem today while machining ajob, one is through pocket and other one is blind pocket .
in blind pockets iam able to control the radius by using settings in clean up but in through pockets it is using a tool larger than what i want how to control it,we have put the radius in the pocket in design and tried again but result is same. is there any other way to control the radius in through cuts
pls help
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Re: CN5.48-CUT THROUGH POCKET RADIUS

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

The software is designed to use the largest tool it can to perform a pocket and then use smaller tools for cleaning up the pockets. If you are wanting to use a smaller tool, you will need to uncheck pocketing for the larger tool in the tooling section but then it will not use this tool for any pockets. When you have a larger area that you need through cut, in ecabinets, you can create 2 pockets that leave small walls between the inner piece and the outer piece. This will keep the software from seeing it as a through cut and then it will use the pocketing settings.
mohan kommineni

Daniel Vonderheide wrote:The software is designed to use the largest tool it can to perform a pocket and then use smaller tools for cleaning up the pockets. If you are wanting to use a smaller tool, you will need to uncheck pocketing for the larger tool in the tooling section but then it will not use this tool for any pockets. When you have a larger area that you need through cut, in ecabinets, you can create 2 pockets that leave small walls between the inner piece and the outer piece. This will keep the software from seeing it as a through cut and then it will use the pocketing settings.

thanks for ur reply daniel
i have few counter tops where the pocket needs to be cut out and i want them to have minimum radius 2.5 typically so that the cabinet maker can laminate them whith out wasting time in jigsawing them but when u said the above statement i have a doubt the board is 32mm thick and if i check the tick for the tool what i want to use 5mm bit, is it the right way to do the pocket inspite of having many bigger tools in setup
why dont this pocketing feature be implemented on through cuts aswell

pls advice thanks
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

I'm not sure if I understand what you are wanting. It sounds like you are wanting to use a 5mm bit to do a cut through on a pocket cut in your countertops to create a pocket with a 2.5 inch radius in the corners. The pocketing routine will try to use the largest tool capable of doing this. If you are wanting to force it to use a 5mm for pocketing on this material, then you can create a tool group for this material that is similar to your default tool group except that you only have the 5mm checked for pocketing. This will allow the default group to work as it has been but when it nests this material, it will only have the 5mm tool for pocketing. I'm not sure if this is what you are wanting though.
mohan kommineni

Daniel Vonderheide wrote:I'm not sure if I understand what you are wanting. It sounds like you are wanting to use a 5mm bit to do a cut through on a pocket cut in your countertops to create a pocket with a 2.5 inch radius in the corners. The pocketing routine will try to use the largest tool capable of doing this. If you are wanting to force it to use a 5mm for pocketing on this material, then you can create a tool group for this material that is similar to your default tool group except that you only have the 5mm checked for pocketing. This will allow the default group to work as it has been but when it nests this material, it will only have the 5mm tool for pocketing. I'm not sure if this is what you are wanting though.
daniel what i want to ask was is it possible to use a 10mm bit first and then use a 5mm bit to finish off the radius.
can this feature be added on the CN as iam not sure how to machine this job now. and if i put a relief hole in the intersection it is not drilling it but it plunges same 10mm bit in to the profile iam new this software can some one tell me how to cut a square pocket with minimum corner radius in simple steps please
thank u very much
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

As of now, when a pocket area is larger than the pocket area through cuts value, the pocket is cut as an outline and does not do a cleanup pass. If you email me (program@thermwood.com) the export from your control nesting along with the esj file, I can take a look at what you are trying to accomplish and see if there is a way we can have it done.
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

In our shop we use some high tech tooling (available only at your local hardware store) for squaring up inside corners.
100_0255.jpg
100_0255.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 9597 times
:D
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Jon, there are aggregates that can do the same thing. They oscillate and can square these inside edges. Now I have no idea how good they are. Thermwood works with Benz so may be someone can inform you what aggregates are available. Plus even though you will probably pay a bit extra at least it will be approved and integrated by Thermwood. You can see how they work here: http://www.benz-inc.com/videos.php

Pretty interesting.
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

Those are way more high tech than our way. Impressive.
mohan kommineni

Daniel Vonderheide wrote:As of now, when a pocket area is larger than the pocket area through cuts value, the pocket is cut as an outline and does not do a cleanup pass. If you email me (program@thermwood.com) the export from your control nesting along with the esj file, I can take a look at what you are trying to accomplish and see if there is a way we can have it done.
thank u very much daniel iwill send the details
thanks to one and all