dry run question

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Darren Harvey

dry run question

Post by Darren Harvey »

Good morning guys. Because of the slow times, I’ve had a lot of time to work more on learning my machine better. We have been doing a lot of estimating run times for ourselves and clients. So I found the dryrun button. So I looked it up in my manual and all I got was a description of dryrun. So I pressed the button with close caution, I pressed the start button and it was going fine until my bit feel out of the head of the machine. The question is why or where can I get better direction. I wish I would of known about not having bits in the head of the machine. Thanks for your help, Darren
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: dry run question

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Darren,

I will look into the dropping tool issue you've experienced, however, the best way to get a time estimate is to run the program as you normally would but with a larger ZSHIFT value so that the tool runs above your table. You will also need to enter the Start and End sub timers in your program to record cycle time. This will give you a more true time for you will have actual tool changes in the process. I do know that the Dry Run option will not actually change the tool.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

In addition to my last post regarding this topic:

If running a part program in DRY RUN mode and if it contains any tool calls, you must first comment out the tool calls prior to running in DRY mode or tools will be release during operation of INPUTS/OUTPUTS in DRY RUN mode. It is listed in the Thermwood programming manual under the Dry Run option that INPUTS/OUTPUTS may function during this process. On newer machines that contain an auto tool change spindle this will cause the tool to be ejected when the draw bar output is activated during tool change.
Darren Harvey

Post by Darren Harvey »

ryan, thanks for the response i do understand know. when we do "dry runs" with a high z-shifts. like i said earlier i'm relearning the machine again. thanks for you help, darren