Waterborne Finishes

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

John J. Desmond
Company Name: American Millwork Company

Waterborne Finishes

Post by John J. Desmond »

Can anyone tell me about a waterborne pre-cat lacquer and wiping stain that is good to use? I am doing a 'green' job and thought this would be best for it. I don't want to cross any boundaries on this forum so if it is ok please respond. I don't know if Thermwood works with any companies on this. If so, someone let me know so that I can look into it. I just want to use the best.

Thanks,
John
Perry Pravettone
Company Name: Unemployed Manager

Re: Waterborne Finishes

Post by Perry Pravettone »

John I use ICA water base stain on all my Maple & Cherry jobs. I get a more of an even finish and not much blotching. When we tried it on Oak you don’t get any grain definition. I tried water based Lacquer and returned it all. You will have to reformulate all your stain formulas because they turn out a different color. Example. On Oak if you what a natural finish you will have to stain the cabinet first to achieve the same color results you get with your regular lacquer and the finish looks bla. Hope this helps.
Perry Pravettone
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

John,

I still use solvent based stains as I didn't have much luck with waterborne. I do however like the waterborne topcoats. I have been using finishes from Target Coatings for quite a while. I really like their flat lacquer. If you need your finishes to have the ambering effect of solvent based you can either tint the finishes (I use a little Dark Vintage Maple Trans Tint Dye) or Target offers a product (EM200 Waterborne Alkyd Varnish) that mimics the solvent based products and has its own ambering effect. They also have a waterborne conversion varnish that I haven't tried yet. (EM8000 Waterborne Conversion Varnish) Great products and service. They also offer a finishers forum to answer questions and get tips.

Kerry
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

I also like the Target products, but I stopped using them since I no longer have a local supplier. Mohawk's Waterborne Pre-Cat Lacquer is also pretty good, M.L.Campbell's Aqualente is good and I have also heard good things about the Safecoat and Valspar products. Mohawk has introduced a complete line of waterbased wipe-on and dye stains thanks to the California laws about VOCs. California's air quality laws are making it much easier to find green materials since the manufacturers and suppliers are being forced to comply. This is also driving companies to improve their formulations.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)