Windows 7

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Craig Teitsma
Company Name: Craig Teitmsa Carpentry

Windows 7

Post by Craig Teitsma »

Hi everyone, I just recieved my copy of Ecabinets in the mail and I am very excited to use it! Question though, I want to buy a new laptop for my wife as our desk top is getting old and slow, but the computers I am looking at run windows 7. I noticed that Ecabintes is "not fully compatible" with windows Vista, what does that mean for Windows 7? Will Ecabinets run? Also, can I print the 3D images off of Ecabints or do they stay on the computer? I would think they are printable.
Thanks,
Craig
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: Windows 7

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Topic moved to eCabinet Systems forum.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Craig,

Welcome to the eCabinets/Thermwood forum.

As of right now, eCabinets shouldn't have a problem with being installed on a Windows 7 pc. Some members have reported some minor issues with running eCabinets on Vista so the same will probably be the same for W7. We are diligently working on V6 of eCabinets which will be Vista compatible and we are not aware of any issues with W7 as of yet. From my understanding, Vista and W7 are basically the same with changes in the security areas and functionality. There are other members here that will correct me if I am wrong about the differences between Vista and W7. :)
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Post by David Norton »

I have installed Windows 7 and Ecabs on my main P/C. After a minor glitch on the installation of the latest update everything has run just fine.
Make sure you install the update as administrator. Just right click on the excutable file and then from the drop down menu,left click on
"run as administrator". HTH
Dave Norton
martin kelinsky
Company Name: Palomar

Post by martin kelinsky »

Well, I did a "clean install" to Windows 7 64 bit so I had to re-install eCabinets from by original eCab 2006 Ver 5 CD in the Administrator'ds account. I entered the new registration code as requested but then the error occured. I received an "ERROR: SEC1011, eCab could not read the window product ID in the Registry".

Since others have successfully installed with Win 7, I wonder if using my 3-year old original CD caused the problem. Perhaps a new/current installation CD might rectify the problem ?? I called Thermwood Support and left a voice message about the issue.

Any suggestions appreciated.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

You MUST run the install and updates as Administrator and after the install, you MUST run eCabinets.exe as Administrator. Read the pinned post at the top of the forum about Vista installs.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Dan is correct, especially when using 64-bit Windows XP, 64-bit Windows Vista or 64-bit Windows 7. The Build 5 update of v5.2 takes care of the SEC1011 issue on these 64-bit O/S's.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
martin kelinsky

Well gentlemen, as mentioned in my original post, I did the install from the Administrators account and then entered my replacement Registration Code.
Since I only have my original 2006 Ver 5 (Build 10) CD and since it wouldn't run without the SEC1011 error, I couldn't get any updates to a newer version.

I'll re-contact eCab support and request a newer installation CD.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

martin kelinsky wrote:Well gentlemen, as mentioned in my original post, I did the install from the Administrators account and then entered my replacement Registration Code.
Since I only have my original 2006 Ver 5 (Build 10) CD and since it wouldn't run without the SEC1011 error, I couldn't get any updates to a newer version.

Did you right-click the installer and choose "Run as Administrator" and did you do the same thing for the latest update? Also, after installing, did you right-click ecabinets.exe and choose "Always run as Administrator?"
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Hey Dan,
How are you doing? Nice to see you back on the forum!
regards,
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

martin kelinsky wrote:Well gentlemen, as mentioned in my original post, I did the install from the Administrators account and then entered my replacement Registration Code.

If you are installing from an older cd onto a 64 bit system you must download and install the latest update BEFORE you try opening the software. The latest updates will have the 64 bit patch built into them. Basically you will install from the cd as an administrator, download the update from the website, run the update as an administrator, and then open the software to register it. Hope this helps.
martin kelinsky

Re: Windows 7 FIXED

Just to close the discussion as it may help others.

Support advised me of an Installing eCabinets in VISTA PDF that I was unaware of. eCabinets is now running perfectly in Windows 7 64 Bit after re-installing according to the detailed steps.