Cutting option for SB Link

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Cutting option for SB Link

Post by Donald Thomson »

I was thinking that it would be nice to be able to specify that dado's could be cut using a specified bit. For example, when cutting dado's I would like to use a 1/4" down spiral as it makes for much cleaner shoulders on the dado's whereas a 1/4" or 3/8" compression bit (used for outline cutting) can create tearout. Maybe in the setting dialog have a way to select the tool number to use for dado cuts?

Just a thought.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Roger Kirkpatrick
Company Name: The WoodCrafting Company

Re: Cutting option for SB Link

Post by Roger Kirkpatrick »

Don,

I think you can specify 1 particular bit for cutout.
Then you can specify another for everything else.
Isn't there a place is "Settings" for the cutout bit?
The WoodCrafter
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Donald,

In the tooling area of of the SB link, you can specify what tool to use for the dados. We generally use a mortise-compression bit which usually has a downspiral with a length of 3/16" instead of a downspiral bit so it can be used for both dados and outlines.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Don...
IF I remember this correctly, it applies to your drawer boxes. Create unique sheetgood names that are used only for the drawer boxes. Change your drawer boxes to use these materials. Create a new tooling group for these sheetgoods with your 1/4 compression as the ouline tool. (suggest 12) Make sure that is has a different number than your primary outline tool. (suggest 11) Add a 1/4" downspairal tool and its parameters as operation 1.(suggest 13) Rout and dado only. This should allow your drawer boxes to be cut using those bits and parameters. Make sure you have a note somewhere reminding you to install the proper bit by the "install tool #" screen.

As a side note, as more cutters are starting to use the manual toolchange I am adding a toolname to my toolchanger files in the next couple weeks. This will output your selected toolname along with the number. Remember to update the variables file if you do a bit change when TC files are not active. If needed I can add a small gosub to the Zzero routine to add the variable automatically during a "dry" bit change.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support