Version 6.1

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Version 6.1

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Dean and Jason,
Version 6 of the program steadily works its way to being released but before the next list of additions gets approved for 6.1 could the forum users be allowed to rank them. Its your money and time but it would be a great gesture if we could rank the top 20 suggestions you are considering. You have the veto but at least you would know what hits our hot button.

Maybe after voting we could offer a few ideas not on the 20 list that you have.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Version 6.1

Post by Joe Dusel »

I'll vote for that one.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Joe Dusel wrote:I'll vote for that one.
So are we voting on whether or not to have a vote? :lol:
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Dean Fehribach wrote:
Joe Dusel wrote:I'll vote for that one.
So are we voting on whether or not to have a vote? :lol:
Maybe we should have a vote on whether to have a vote on whether to have a vote or maybe we should just vote on setting up a committee to see whether a vote is called for. :joker:
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Uh, yeah guys...

Back to the original post topic, I think that as woodworkers we have different priorities and ideas of what we need in the software than programmers and engineers who develop it. I mean, if you had a list containing the funky colorization of the objects (cabinets, assemblies, etc.) for the Custom Layout Editor do you think that would have attracted even one vote from us users? How about LDE improvements? Or how about being able to change wood species or finish for an entire project with a click of the mouse so we can instantly show our clients how their kitchen would look in Maple or Cherry?

Anyway, I do agree that it would be nice to have the list of proposed improvements posted here with a way that we could vote to prioritize them. As you might guess I would vote in favor of setting up the Custom Layout editor as it used to be - rendered. Remember when we could actually use the Texture Match in the Custom Layout Editor?

Joe
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

That would be great, but renderings are the last thing I'd vote for. I mean that respectfully, I simply have no use for that whole side of the software in my business. I'd like to have the ability to see what current settings are for all parts (having the construction settings dialogs populated with the settings of a selected part in it's appropriate editor) instead of just the defaults for what's going to happen when I make a change or add something new. That alone would take precedence over anything else in the entire package for me.
I would even put up with the line drawing editor the way it is if I could only vote once :wink:
:beer:
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

My small vote is with Josh. There are programs that do rooms and drawing much easier, better and use way less resources than eCabs.

And if I had another vote I would add a setting or two to the face frame section to allow us the flexibilty to mill the faceframes on shapers etc. and have them fit our eCabs designed boxes.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Well, this is exactly why it would be a good idea to have some sort of polling on which features the members want most in the software. If the ideas that I want are not what the majority wants then so be it. I think the priority should be first off weighted towards the Thermwood machine and ShopBot link owners. After that I think it would be nice to have the priority based on the number of folks voting for a particular item.

Joe
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Having a lock size on the face frame editor would be nice. I have three heights of cabinets and if I go from a 35 1/4" to a 34 3/4" it changes the opening height of my drawers. I always want the drawer to be 5 1/4" what ever the cabinet height is. When I change the height is averages the two out.
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

This is a good topic, something should become of this. I'm voting with Josh. I also see a need for good (and fast) design work too. Some users need to sell the job to the client, while others (like us) just need the picture or list for the shop floor. The common area that we all need is the LDE to be bulletproof.
Bryan J Tanner
Guru Member
Company Name: Decor Designz

Post by Bryan J Tanner »

Count my vote in!!!!

I could save Thermwood a lot of time as well.

We all use ecabinets in a slightly different way, though the LDE seems to be a common gripe.

Anyway, getting the community opinion and then Thermwood weighing it up with the benifits to the overall would be an efficiant way to guide the development.
HP Pavilion DV6
2.27 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 430
3064 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

I guess I have to throw my vote unquestionably for whatever results in good rendering. In my case, it's a pretty basic decision, if you don't get the job, there is no need for much else at that point. Selling to end users (as I do) is quite different from selling to Architects and designers. Maybe the poll should include what the predominant portion of our business is of the two mentioned? End users will want impressive renderings and care nothing about drawings. Architects will want impressive drawings.
regards to all,
BEN HOLM

Post by BEN HOLM »

I agree with the LDE request. For me, not sure about the rest, I have AutoCad and am really fast at that so the LDE is real disapointing. But Im not complaning about eCabs at all I love it just the way it is but if we are talking about the improvements then how about being able to take Elivation views and export them to AutoCad. then I could do anything I wanted to it. As Dxf or DWG or anything that AutoCad could open. :idea:
Just a thought. But it would not help those that dont have AutoCad. Im not a programer but it does not seem to hard if eCabs can import files from AutoCad already.
Dell Precision M6400
Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz
4GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M (6.14.11.9562)
Windows XP Pro 32bit
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Ben,
I wish I was fluent in Autocad. The only thing is if you export from Ecabinets to Auto cad it would be for presentation only. The auto cad mods would have no manufacturing benefit.
Maybe the programmers would like to hear what things you wish you could do in Ecabinets that force you to use Autocad. Maybe list them in most important to less important?
Thanks for your comments

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia