edge quality of cut wavy

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

edge quality of cut wavy

Post by Neville Bastian »

For some reason in the last few days the quality of the cut is not cutting straight in the x direction. It has a deflection of about a 1mm which is too bad to use that part.
Any suggestions on what would cause this. Have tried using new bits and using a 12mm cutter instead of a 9.6mm.
Could it be the belts? I have a autolube set a oil drops twice what is recommended so don't think it isn't lubed enough.

This has come at a bad time trying to meet the Christmas rush.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: edge quality of cut wavy

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Neville,
It's been a while since I've worked on machine repair, but if it's wavy in the the X axis, that may mean you need to look at the Y axis for loose bolts or a loose or worn drive belt. I remember being at a machine customer complaining about a similar problem and his ballnut bolts had worked their way loose after years of otherwise quality service. :D
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Dean,
Thanks for the tip. I can't seeing anything worn out seeing we have auto lube and its less than 18 months old.
What I did notice is that the new CN has seemed to stop the shuddering cut. I was also having trouble with the rebate for dado , they were not straight with a dog leg shape in middle. Could be a conflict with vr 6 data which we have been running for a few weeks.
As mentioned we also have been having a few size issues. Maybe its the cabinets coming from 5 into 6 and being corrupted? Who knows. I am getting off the subject. Sorry

I also forgot to mention the other program we use that creates code has a perfect cut on the edge of the sheet so maybe it is software?

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Jim Morelli
Company Name: IGS Store Fixtures Inc.

Post by Jim Morelli »

Nevill, an easy way to check for a problem in the y-axis is to power up (turn on) the machine and with the machine at home position, not in e-stop, see if you can move the spindle assembly in the y direction by pushing or pulling on it. If you feel any movement there is a y-axis problem. It should be solid (no movement at all) hope this helps, take care, Jim
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Neville,

If you check the belt drives and drive flanges for the two axises and they seem to be good and snug, the other thing you will want to check, is to compare the header information of the part programs your running on your router. You mentioned that a program from another software you have is operating fine, this could be affected by the G09F# and/or G800# values in the header of your programs. You will also want to be sure and compare like cuts, so that your using the x and y axis in same type of cut. Eitherway, keep us posted so we can be sure to help you resolve this situation.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Ryan,
I'm fairly sure all is well mechanically with the Thermwood as it cuts the MDF doors spot on first time which is the non Thermwood program. I don't think the non Thermwood program is affecting settings as we are shutting the thermwood software down every Ecabinet sheet we do and restarting so it has a cleared memory. I have emailed the thermwood setup and programs to Larry so maybe you could have a look at them. We now don't have a finished product problem so thats good but we have slowed things down by 50% because each sheet is processed twice. You should see my CNC guy. He has a grin from ear to ear with all the Overtime he is getting.
The more I think about it it must be a setting we have in our Thermwood config. I hope you guys can find it?

As a side point we had trouble finding the button to send(export) of the config file. Its down the bottom on the Right side as you know. It was off our screen and we had to guess where it was. Has this occured with the new CN? We thought we would just change the screen display resolution but Thermwood have taken that ability away. Is that just us or do all users have the buttons hidden now.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Ryan Hochgesang

Neville,

I would like to see the actual CNC code that is run on your machine and causing the jittery cut. I would also like a copy of the CNC code that has been generated from your other CAM system to compare the two. If you will also send the EXPORT file from Control Nesting, this will help with looking into this issue.

As for your EXPORT button being off the screen, you might want to check your machine table size settings which affect the graphical display of the machine shown on Main Control Nesting page.

Thanks!
Ryan Hochgesang

Neville,

As another note, in past experiences with cut issues I've not only seen were the cutter (ie: different tool, wear of tool ) can cause change in edge quality, but also actual material or stock being cut. If a new batch or supplier of material occurs, I've seen where adjustments to cut speed are required to maintain past edge quality experiences.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Ryan, I will email the info you require.
Not sure on your comment about table size affecting the screen size positioning. I do have a big table 1900 by 3700 but I can't see how I can put in the incorrect size so I can see the buttons. It re minds me of a joke about a lighthouse and a US Battleship. Who was going to make way first. If we had the ability to change the screen resolution that may help. Even if was only temporarily till next reboot.
We have been trying new bits and adjusting feed speeds to no avail but on the second run of the same program for that sheet everything moves to correct coordinates and its a perfect size and a perfect router cut.

I'll try and get the files to you today. Thanks for your understanding. Sure you wouldn't like a summer Christmas down under. Better than shovelling snow.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

Is that just us or do all users have the buttons hidden now.
We can still see all the buttons on our screen after updating the control nesting.
Ryan Hochgesang

Neville,

The following is what we’ve found when reviewing your files and additional machine info:

All of the doors in the job that you submitted for review, have 2mm edgebanding applied to them. When reviewing the NC code, the correct panel size is reflected to accommodate the edge banding.

Regarding your table size settings, I would recommend that you change these settings to 1524 x 3657. I realize that your actual table is 2133 x 3657 (7 ft. x 12 ft), however, you are likely only nesting in the 1524 x 3657 (5 ft x 12 ft) section of the table due to the table design. In the SETTINGS file you provided, the table size is listed as 2133 x 3660. Let me know how changing the table with to actual nesting area effects the CN screen for you.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Ryan,
I have a problem Huston.
In Oz we don't have 1500mm wide sheets we have 1800mm by 3600. I will try a smaller sheet size although now we know the buttons are there we can arrow down there.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Neville,

You mentioned your machine table is 1900 x 3700. Put this for your table size in Settings and I believe you will see the buttons. The table size is merely for Control Nesting to graphically display the machine table. It will not affect the programs generated by Control Nesting. Sorry for the confusion.

Note: After inputing these settings, close Control Nesting then restart to see your changes take affect.