Adding molding

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Neal Reeves

Adding molding

Post by Neal Reeves »

It seems like it would be nice if I could click an "add molding" button in the custom layout and whatever molding I have as my default would just "pop" into place throughout the entire custom layout rather than having to add molding and cut each angle on each piece in the cabinet editor. Is this possible???
Neal Reeves
Country Cabinets, Inc.
Bonifay, FL
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Adding molding

Post by DanEpps »

It depends...if you are adding molding to cabinets you can add it, with miters, in the molding editor before saving your cabinet and placing it in a room.

What many users do is create a "crown molding cabinet" that consists of a standard cabinet with all parts removed except the top. Crown molding is added to the cabinet and it is saved. You can resize it and add it to your room as needed.

Take a look at the file George Davidson posted here: http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... =5&t=10411
BEN HOLM

Post by BEN HOLM »

Yea that would be nice. But it really is not that hard to do. The online training videos tell you to draw up the whole kitchen first in custom layout with all the cabs in it then click on just one cab in each run press "E" to edit that one cab and add the moulding to it for the whole run. You just have to mess with the scribes. You may have a scribe thats 8' long but it will span across all the other cabs. Then for inside corners hit the overlap check box and the mitter box for outside corners. Just make sure that the moulding is one of the last things you do. I've done a few full kitchens like this and it comes out great and only takes maybe 10 mins depending on how many corners you have to do. undercab light bars are the same.
Hope this helps
Dell Precision M6400
Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz
4GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M (6.14.11.9562)
Windows XP Pro 32bit
Neal Reeves

Post by Neal Reeves »

I agree that using the molding editor isn't hard, it is just another step. I was just hoping that the programmers might create a button in the custom layout that would act much like the countertop editor. If it would give you a down view of the room showing the tops of the uppers and allow you to click on the corners for the molding to be added. Then give you a list of options for locations, miters, profiles, etc. Wouldn't that be cool?
Neal Reeves
Country Cabinets, Inc.
Bonifay, FL
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Neal, here is an example of cabinets that are saved as crown moldings. All sizing can be manipulated as your placing them in custom layout. Texture matching is also easy by just changing sheet material. Re-sizable fillers, panels and valances, etc. can easily be constructed this way too and added to your library. The key thing to remember is to use a cabinet part.
Attachments
Center Crown.hsf
(110.02 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
Crown Example.jpg
Crown Example.jpg (34.1 KiB) Viewed 6314 times
Neal Reeves

Post by Neal Reeves »

So I should create a directory called "crown moldings" and put cabinets in them in which I delete all parts of them except for the tops. On each cabinet, I should crown it in a different way in order to create a "crown molding cabinet" for each and every scenario. Am I understanding this correctly? This makes a lot of sense and I will try it. However, I think my way would be easier.
Neal Reeves
Country Cabinets, Inc.
Bonifay, FL