sides shorter than desired ??

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kenneth Rychlik

sides shorter than desired ??

Post by Kenneth Rychlik »

I am working on this cabinet and the sides are shorter than the whole cabinet. I have all the insets at zero for the sides and back, but the sides are stiill shorter. Does anyone have a thougth to what I may have done wrong?

Kenneth
Attachments
upper seed cabinet.hsf
(434.02 KiB) Downloaded 361 times
tim lucas
Guru Member
Company Name: Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC

Re: sides shorter than desired ??

Post by tim lucas »

Kenneth Rychlik wrote:I am working on this cabinet and the sides are shorter than the whole cabinet. I have all the insets at zero for the sides and back, but the sides are stiill shorter. Does anyone have a thougth to what I may have done wrong?

Kenneth
Hello Kenneth

please upload the jpeg file also so we can see the cabinet -

Thanks
Tim
Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks LLC
www.TLCW.us
Keith Beggarly

Post by Keith Beggarly »

Hey Kenneth,

How short do you mean? I opened your cabinet and this is what I see.[attachment=0]Kenneth's Cabinet - side view.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Kenneth's Cabinet - side view.jpg
Kenneth's Cabinet - side view.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 11277 times
Kenneth Rychlik

If you hover your pointer over the parts it will give you the size. The back and both sides are .035 less than the cabinet heigth and that is not normal.

Tim, it will open withought the jpeg.

Kenneth
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Could that just be an allowance for edge tape???
Kenneth Rychlik

Wally, I checked and they are all turned off and have none in the boxes for the edgebanding.

Thanks.
Kenneth Rychlik

I found something interesting. If I turn the face frames off the height of the sides and back go to the correct size. Also if I change global settings for the sheet stock to generic .75 it sizes the part correctly.

When I change the material back to .715 thickness and or put the face frame back on, the problem comes back.

Also the ammount the cabinet sides are off is the same as the difference between the .75 sheet stock and the .715 sheet stock.

I'm getting closer, but still don't have the answer.

Kenneth
Kenneth Rychlik

I found that if I put in a value of .035 for deck float in the face frame construction settings, the sizes get back to normal. This works, but I still wonder why I had to do it.

Kenneth
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Kenneth,

Since your material thickness is only .715 then your deck inset must reflect that.
You have the deck inset for a full 3/4" material.
Set your deck inset to 2 1/16" and the sides will be correct (this will flush your deck material to the top of the bottom rail and the sides to the bottom of your stiles.)or you can add that 1/16" deck float.

To flush the deck with the top of the bottom rail your deck inset should be the bottom rail width (2 3/4")minus your deck material thickness (11/16").
Kerry
Kenneth Rychlik

Thanks Kerry, but I Want the deck slightly below the face frame.. Trying to land a perfect fit never works.

I need two inches under for lighting and the deck starting there. That leaves the deck just below the face frame.

I wonder if adding the deck float number that I did moved the bottom dado?

Kenneth
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Kenneth,

To do what you want set the deck inset properly for your material thickness then add the deck float that you want to the face frame bottom rail. this will position your dado properly.
You can check it in the nest to make sure.
Kerry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Kenneth,

I have given you some bad information. It seems that the deck float works differently than I remembered. It shortens the left and right stiles to give the float (which I can not see the the benefit)

You will need to calculate your deck bottom inset by
Width of bottom rail 2 3/4" minus thickness of deck material 23/32" plus the amount of deck float desired 1/16" which equals a deck bottom inset of 1 31/32" then go to face frames and enter a 1/16" deck float. You will now have sides and stiles that are the same length, a 1/16" float on the deck and your dados will be correct.

Sorry if I have confused you.

Kerry
Kenneth Rychlik

Kerry, I wake up confused every day and stay that way most days. A little more confusion is no big deal at all.

This means every time I change a material thickness, I need to change that float number also I guess.

I am waiting for a fix on the shopbot link to cut dado's with a conventional cut instead of climb. They are supposed to be fixing it to allow cutting a back rabbet with a bit bigger than the pocket and let the bit overhang the part also.

Thanks for your help.

Kenneth
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Kenneth,

I think you are correct, you will have to adjust your deck inset for different thickness material used.

I talked to Ryan at eCabinets about this yesterday and he is looking into it. I think many of us use a nominal thickness of 3/4" for sheet goods and the actual thickness of the material used is entered by the machine operator when cutting on a router. It looks to me that this Deck inset with a float could cause problems there but I don't know.
Kenneth Rychlik

I think I am going to try and remove the face frames from the cabinet, as I don't do those on the cnc anyway. I can still have the sides extend past the front to go into the dados in my face frames without having them on the cabinet. Then when I change material sizes, I should not have to make extra changes to the cabinet.

The only trouble is that I have to have two sets of cabinets. One set for designs, and another set for cutting purposes. I was hoping to get to a point where I design them in the room and send them to the machine for cutting, but I ain't there yet.

Heck, I can't even get one part of one cabinet side to come out correctly yet. lol

I am trying to hang on and not go back to my other program for cutting though. This should be easier, once it's ironed out.

Thanks

Kenneth