New CN controller and Vr6

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Re: New CN controller and Vr6

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Will,
We have tried both directions of tool cut.
We have tried using different brands of 9.6mm cutters to no avail
We have tried 12mm cutters no change
We have tried doing the parts in in 2 passes. No change
We have tried slowing down the feed speed. No change
We have tried increasing feed speed no change
We get the same results on mdf and particleboard.

We have checked the belt tensions, the lubrication of the worm drive.
We have checked for any spindle movement.

What we have found is that Gcode generated from a non Thermwood source cuts right every time. Sizes are correct.
We have found the code produced by Ecabinets the coordinates are the same on the first and second code generation when you open them in wordpad or sim.. The first code is always wrong but the second works in actual use.
We can't start the first cut then halt it part the way though then create the second code. It will still cut wrong. We have to run the program right the way till the end before running it a second time.

So you see Will I am a bit frustrated. I will just have to get a tech out to do some tests and report back to Larry. A independent person getting the same result might mean something.
It will be two weeks it will be off before we restart work. Who knows the holiday might fix it?

Thanks for your comment.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

So Neville
Did you resolve the problem and if so what was the issue .

I am always looking at the problems that fellow owners are incountering and don,t always see the solution posted.
Thanks Will
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Will, We have tried everything mechanical. Going clock wise then anticlockwise. Faster feed speed slower feed speeds. All parts onion skinned. Different diameter bits. Different material thickness. The main reason we discount mechanical is when we use code the has been hard coded with Gcode directions not from Ecabinets the cuts are correct first time.
I have a service agent that has been Thermwood trained coming in on Monday so hopefully he can give some feedback to the factory.
Its a puzzle why I am having this issue and no one else is. I bet its something minor.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

For those interested in this post, Neville was able to find his problem. Apparently the tracks for the head on his machine were loose. This caused the cuts to be erratic.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Yes I have apologised to Larry doubting his software ability.
The screws on the vertical plunging gear of the spindle were tight at the top but loose at the bottom. We couldn't see any movement when we checked when at the top. The good or bad thing I guess depending on your viewpoint was the two thermwood techo's took a good day to find it as well. We are now in heaven. Before it was two runs of the nest. Each cut was done in two passes. The cutter feed speed was also slowed down too far so bits were getting blunter quicker.
Now its one pass, faster speed and better quality cut. Yippee

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia