After the bugs are fixed in V6

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

After the bugs are fixed in V6

Post by Gary Puckett »

I am aware of the problems we are having with V6 and I am sure that in time they will be resolved.

So after everything is fixed how many of you would like to have the ability to construct custom doors and not have to pick from the door library.

I am talking about cabinet doors and interior doors, just a thought.

Thanks
Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: After the bugs are fixed in V6

Post by Joe Dusel »

Yes, it would be nice to have a custom door editor in Version 7. I think that might have been on one of my previous wish lists. I think it would just take enhancements to the Thermwood Door Editor.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
David Tuttle
Company Name: The Kings Woodwright

Post by David Tuttle »

YES, I would love to have a door editor. I'm working on a project with tall doors and they need a rail but it's a repeat customer and she knows I'll deliver the right design.
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

Yes please.
One of the reasons I want to get a thermwood is so I can machine my own MDF doors. I pay 1/2 to 2/3 of the leasing costs of a machine every month to someone else to supply me with doors for polyurethaning. To have the the ability within the software to copy designs or develop your own would be another strong plus from me
Tom Nienow
Company Name: Nienow Woodwork

Post by Tom Nienow »

Custom doors would be nice, right now to display I have to make display cubes. It would be nice if drawer fronts made in house would show up in the board footage and materials cost, right now I have to physically add that material- unless that's a glitch
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gary,
Improvements to the Door Drawer Front editor have been on the wish list since the release of Version 1. There have been some improvements but that area of the software still needs work. I think the Door Drawer Front editor was always geared more for folks outsourcing doors than those building them. Maybe now that the Member Store is gone there can be more emphasis on features for shops that build doors.

Mark,

Improvements for better functionality to machine MDF doors has also been on the table a long time and discussed at length. In the past the problem has been the fact that Thermwood is partners with a company that offers and sells software used specifically to machine MDF doors. This created a conflict of interests. I don't know if this conflict still remains but in the past that has been the problem as far as MDF Doors is concerned.

Tom,

Five piece drawer fronts will show up in your board footage calculations if you provide the five piece details for cut list and choose Build in House when you select a default door. As for slab fronts you will have to create a sheet stock that represents your board stock IE 4/4 Hardwood and then add a slab or mdf Drawer Front using this material. This will let you add up the materials to get a good tally or you can choose something like the crp-10 drawer front and choose build in house then in the five piece details for cut list enter your correct material for panels and stiles and rails but leave all the other fields set to zero. This will get you a correct material tally and a correct cut list for the slab drawer front but unfortunately will graphically show a five piece front.

Improvements to the Door/Drawer Front editor used to be very high on my wish list but I have worked around it so long it is no longer very important to me. Improved performance is my highest wish now. It takes too long to create a design. I spend far too much time waiting for the software to catch up. After performance I see improvments to the Line Drawing Editor as a priority. And the list goes on.

Kerry
James Melvin

Post by James Melvin »

Kerry-
In the last paragraph of your post on this topic, you say that performance issues are still at the top of your wish list. I have to agree. But here is what shocks me. You are running a workstation with a killer cpu speed and a monster Quadro card and speed is still an issue !!! What I infer here is that the software itself poses issues that can't simply be overcome by throwing more money at workstation MOBO/Quadro FX 100 gazillion, etc. Personally, I am past due for a hardware upgrade (Athlon 64 4000, FX 1000 128). Obviously, having read many of your posts and having viewed many of your rendered projects, I can see that you (like me) truly see the value of being able to being able to dazzle potential clients with life like renderings. I too spend way too much time waiting for screen refresh. The overall speed of things now stands in my way re: pushing my learning curve to become truly proficient in all the editors. So I guess my general question for you is, "What is the best ROI in the upgrade path?" What has been your experience and what advice might you tender, O Revered Guru? :wink:
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

James,

Right now I think we should persevere until the bugs are ironed out of Version 6. I think when this happens we will see some pretty big improvement. When V6 is running smoothly I would then look at the recommended system for eCabinets posted on the eCabinets site and buy nothing less.

The only upgrades I am planning is to Windows 7 on my eCabinets machine and then add another 4G of RAM. If my graphics card is still giving problems I will probably upgrade that to the new recommendation but I hope I don't have to.

If you have to upgrade now, use the eCabinets Recommended system and don't listen to anyone else. They know what it takes to run the software The rest of us are just guessing.

Kerry
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

Hi Kerry
Is there a update for the Recommended system the one I see is the one from 2006
I have Nvidia Quadro FX 570 (year old) e-Cabinets is the only one that run bad on my computer.e-Cabinets V-5 worked fine.
I get a lot of white lines all the time.When I updated in the new drivers Punch program went funny there TS said bring down my hardware acceleration it was all the way up and it fixed Punch program.
Attachments
Punch CAD (1).jpg
Punch CAD (1).jpg (94.14 KiB) Viewed 13399 times
Shot1.jpg
Shot1.jpg (45.36 KiB) Viewed 13399 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

George,

HERE is a link to the latest specs.
Kerry
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

I look on the Web. I could not fine
Thank You Kerry for the link
My computer looks like it should work fine
I do not have Window-7
Like I said before c-Cabinet-5 worked fine
Parts # Part Description

01323 INFORMATION..., NO ITEM
RU100 INSTRUCTION..., DEVIATE L6 TO L5.5, 525W
WT421 Processor, E8400, 3.0, 6MB Wolfdale, 65W, C0
5120P Cord, Power, 125V, 6Feet, SJT..., Unshielded
702EX INFORMATION..., PREPARATION MATERIAL..., DEVIATION..., PRECISION WORKSTATION..., INCREASE..., #1
C158J KIT..., DOCUMENTATION..., SERI/WSI, ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., DAO/BCC
U717D Hard Drive, 160gb, S2, 7.2K Western Digital, XL320
DJ310 Palmrest, Keyboard, Plastic Entry, Liteon, Board Lock
K123H Kit, Software, Powerdvd, 8.1-00 Digital Video Disk Drive
K989J Kit, Software, Adobe Acrobat 9.0, ENG-FR
R662K Kit, Software, Overpack, WXPPSP3 Compact Diskette W/documentation, English
83535 INFORMATION..., PART, ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., DEVICE
J8461 Assembly, Cable, Video, Lead Free
WX397 Card, Graphics, 256, FX570, ELGA11Lead Free
DJ331 Keyboard, 104, Universal Serial Bus, United States, Entry Liteon, Black
W338C Assembly, Dvd+/-rw, 16X, Serial Ata, Half Height, Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology
D6502 Dual In-line Memory Module 1GB, 667M, 12X72, 8, 240, 2RX8
J229H KIT..., Software, VB32SP1A, Digital Video Disk Drive, Multiple, 5
XN967 Kit, Mouse, Universal Serial Bus, 2BTN, Optical, Primax Electronics Ltd
CD011 Kit, Compact Diskette, Driver Resource Compact Disk Precision Workstation, V2
YY660 Kit, Software, MS Office Basic-2K7, English
H026G Kit, Software, Roxio, Creator 9.0-01, Business
JT147 Assembly, Heatsink, Shroud, CEL MTD
RW118 ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., PWA INTEGRATED..., 525W, T3400

Right now I don't us the program at all
All the white lines and the program runs very slow :wall: :wall: :wall:
Kenneth Rychlik

Post by Kenneth Rychlik »

I have a more basic request for an improvement that would help me. It involves construction parameters. I would like to be able to enter some default information and any cabinet that I would put into the cabinet editor could be changed to my preferences by clicking on my default parameters.

A few different defaults would be nice. One for wall cabs, one for base, maybe one for misc.

It seems like a spend a lot of time changing those getting a library ready to use and have to have a checklist to make sure I don't forget something. Then if you want to change your whole library, you would just bring them in and select the default settings and BAM. life would be good. lol

Kenneth
Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Post by Glenn Warner »

Kenneth,

That's a good one. One click and you set global parameters for cabs and doors. That would save time and reduce errors.
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

What I would prefer is to be able to change the construction settings and defaults for all the cabinets in a selected directory.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Kenneth Rychlik

Post by Kenneth Rychlik »

That would be nice too Joe. You could download a library and do a global fix to your preffered settings and you are ready to cut.

Either way would be a major plus and save all the click, click, click, click,........

i think the more global that it is, the more it will be locking up pc's though. To many calculations at one time seem to be the issue as it is.

Kenneth