Problem saving in V6

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Problem saving in V6

Post by Dale Wills »

I have just began the transition from V5 to V6 on our office computer and thought it would be a good chance to refine our library. I can't save any cabinets. I either get a HOOPS error or another error saying 'You have entered an illegal character for a cabinet directory. You cannot use !@#$%^&*()' etc etc. There are no such things in the directorie names. Can anyone help me out here on whats going on.
Thanks,
Dale
Attachments
problem saving cabs.JPG
problem saving cabs.JPG (43.09 KiB) Viewed 8810 times
Kenneth Rychlik

Re: Problem saving in V6

Post by Kenneth Rychlik »

your directory starts with C:\ and you have to take all that stuff out from in front of your file name.

It does that in V6 and it is a pain. I hope it is on the list for build 2.

Anyway back all that beginning stuff out and just put your file name in it and it will work.

Kenneth
Rob Babcock

Post by Rob Babcock »

I don't see how you could get your V6 to go into a directory in C:\Program Files...

My V6 really only wants to play with cabinets in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\cabinets" which got created during installation.

The trick is, you can make subdirectories inside this directory, but only 1 level deep (none of your subdirectories can have subdirectories).
So, you can make a directory "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\cabinets\My Cabinets" and just copy your cabs into this directory in Windows Explorer. Then when you are in the CE, you can change to this directory in the new side menu thingy, and you will see all your cabinets...

Same goes for "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\doors" or "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\drawers" (or assemblies, or drawer boxes, and so on)
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Dale,

Kenneth is correct it is the C:\ that is causing the problem. Just name your directory something simple that defines them for you. Don't use the path to the directory as the directory name.

Rob is also correct. Your V6 cabinets will not save to the C:\Program Files etc. path it will be C:\Documents and Settings\All Users etc. path that he states.

Rob,

The fact that eCabinets is only looking one directory deep for cabinet files is a known bug and I think they are working on it. In the future you should be able to use several sub directories deep.

Kerry
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

I have been successful in saving and opening files multiple subdirectories deep. Do all of you experience the bug that only looks a single subdirectory deep?
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Rob Babcock

Post by Rob Babcock »

You are already multiple directories deep in the directory where eCabs wants to store cabinets:
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\cabinets"

The length of the string eCabs uses to hold this text string could be a problem. So when you add subdirectories like

"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\cabinets\My Cabinets\My Special Favorite Cabinets"

eCabs could choke on the string length....
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Josh,

What did you do to fix it? HERE
is a link to a thread where I thought you were having the same problem.

Kerry
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

This was caused by taking a cabinet from the batch. For me, I had lots of jobs saved in a batch and when I took a cabinet back out to the CE, and then went to save that cabinet, the sub-directory information was not passed along.
I just had to be careful to click the 'browse' button from the save dialog and put it where I wanted it. That worked fine.
The filepath for each cabinet simply wasn't saved with the batch, so when the batch cabinet went to save from the editor, it didn't have the information to save it in the same place it originally came from.
It has been fixed in the new build.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Post by Dale Wills »

I have sorted out the saving cabinet issue. Thanks guys for your help. I have chosen to retain my original cabinet storage location on C drive in the program files/thermwood/ecabs location. Are you guys doing this or is it a better idea to save my cabinets in the new location where ecabs V6 has been install, 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users \Documents \Thermwood \eCabinet Systems\ etc???
Dale
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Dale...
I have relocated my files, and am very happy how it is working now. Other than an user error described in this post: http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... =3&t=10717 All has been working well.

I made the folders and organized them to my liking and have kept a number of my 5.2 hardware files (which I did not migrate) for lookup and referrence. My files were moved to my DATA drive so my paths are:
D:\My Documents\eCabinets Data Files and D:\My Documents\eCabinets Job Files. V6 deals with these very well, once I found out what I did wrong (as listed in the above thread)
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Kerry,
Were you successful in getting it to work with clicking the 'browse' button?
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Re: Problem saving in V

Josh,

The problem I remembered was where you were taking a cabinet from batch into the Cabinet Editor and trying to save it from there. I tried it yesterday and found that is still broken. eCabinets only looks one directory deep.
You might look at that again and see if it is working for you.
Kerry