Machine computer too slow

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Machine computer too slow

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Hi Guys,

we have two CS45s and both of them run good except that the new machine's computer is painfully slow. I don't know why but let me ask you a couple of questions.

How long should it take for CN to clear a list?

How long does it take to nest a couple of drawer boxes when only two drawer box twds are loaded?

When a machine costs so much money you could have at least put a bit faster computer.

Anyhow it's all good as long as I get some information on how to speed the computer up. The machine is connected to a network but not to internet. No additional programs are installed on it as well.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Re: Machine computer too slow

Post by Georgi Baltov »

There seems to be an issue with CN 5.52. It would load from network or local file but when you try to nest it just gets stuck at "Nesting Process". It won't move even after 30 min. I had to go back to a previous version - now running on 5.48. It might sound radical but at least it works. I will wait for 5.53 to come out.

At the same time the old machine is running fine with 5.52. I have no idea what could be causing the problem.

I will add some more RAM on both machines just to make things faster now that I have involved myself with this issue.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

I can't give a set time on nesting etc.... this will vary.... Are you running any antivirus software on this particular control? If so, is it possibly performing scan as your trying other operations on the control?
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Ryan,

there's something wrong with 5.52. It's only doing it on our new machine. And no, no antivirus. The computer is as it came from Thermwood. No new programs have been installed. The machine connected to the network but no internet on it because I don't wont viruses on it.

The machine works with 5.48 just fine now. I have no idea what is/ was causing the problem but the new machine has always been slower than the old one despite of being the same model. There's something different in the new one but you should know what it is.
Ryan Hochgesang

If you would please provide an EXORT file, we can then perform some testing here with your particular setup.

Thanks!
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Ryan,

here're some files. I managed to run in some more trouble. This was done on 5.48 nesting the drawer boxes of these two cabinets. The machine is #2 and the reason it's on CN 5.48 is that CN5.52 would not nest. It just stops responding as I stated in the first message. As you can see from the pictures it cut the sides on some of the drawer box left and right side. I am not sure how it decided what to cut and what not to. It seems to be random or may be an issue with constrain manager in eCabinets.
Attachments
CN5-48 and Cabinets.zip
Export
(3 MiB) Downloaded 350 times
Drawer box issue.zip
Pictures
(939.71 KiB) Downloaded 353 times
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Ryan,

here's an export from CN5.53. It seems to be doing exactly the same as CN5.52. It gets stuck on "Nesting Progress".

Let me know if I can you you with any other information regarding any of the issue.

Thank you
Attachments
ControlNest5-53.zip
(343.86 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
Ryan Hochgesang

Thanks for the info. I will have a look and get back to you.
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

What version of the THM software, including build, is on each machine? I would like to verify if there is a noticable time difference between the two software versions. Thanks!
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Daniel Vonderheide wrote:What version of the THM software, including build, is on each machine? I would like to verify if there is a noticable time difference between the two software versions. Thanks!
Daniel,

they are attached with the appropriate name.
Attachments
THM Controls.zip
(128.21 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Georgi, we have made a discovery that the saving of part data for the new recut option may be causing some excessive load for Control Nesting. Try this to see if it is the culprit. Reinstall the latest version of Control Nesting. Go to Settings and set the days to save to zero. Then go to the Load screen and click Clear the list. This should flush the data. It may take some time to run through, but in the end your speed issue should hopefully be eliminated.

Let us know if this helps.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Hi Larry,

I installed CN 5.53 and changed re-cut history to 0. It actually nested. I can't believe it was slowing it so much. It is working ok now. I am still putting more RAM this week. Our IT manager is going to install it sometime this week.

It is normal though. You keep adding new features that for sure are going to need more resources and the computers are still the same. After a while even installing more RAM won't be enough. Anyhow problem solved for now.

Thank you guys
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

One thing remains though. One of the machines was able to nest with CN5.53 and re-cut history set at 30 days. So there's still difference somewhere.

As long as both of them work that's all I care about.
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Thank you for the info. The reason you are seeing a difference on the other machine is due to the amount of data. There must have been more parts with more operations nested on the newer machine. We will change the way this data is stored to eliminate this excessive load for the application.