Scanned Images

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Scanned Images

Post by Rob Davis »

Do any of you have experience in scanning in images of logos or such and then machining them? I have two projects we'd love to add some scanned image \"carving\" to but not sure how to do it. We have ECabinets and MasterCam.

I posted here becasue I am sure the software guys would say it is easy but I mant to machine it and I bet that is another issue.

Thanks!
Jody Wilmes
Guru Member
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Jody Wilmes »

What type of image is it? Depending on what your trying to do, MasterCam can do something similar, but requires some cleanup on your part. Not sure what level of Mastercam has this option, but it would be under; File>Converters>NextMenu>Rast2Vec. This option allows you to import .bmp, .gif, .jpeg, .pcd, .pcx, .tif formats. You may have to adjust the import settings to your likings. It does have a preview window to help also.
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

thank you jody. it is a jpeg image and i will attempt to iport it as you suggest. will let you knwo.

it is a logo for one of our regular customers and we would liek to engrave it into some sheet sides of some of their product.

Rob
Daniel Carr

Image Carving

Post by Daniel Carr »

The VS3D software is designed specifically for 3D carving. Converting an image to vectors, usually involves tracing the image brightness levels to produce lines. VS3D can perform this kind of automatic tracing.

Another technique is to carve a continuous surface using the image brightness as surface height. VS3D can do this, and it includes virtual sculpting tools (hammering, scraping, etc) for manuipuilating relief surfaces.

And yet another technique is to use a V-bit in \"peck\" mode to carve image \"pixels\" as dots of various depths (and thus, widths as well).

Here is a simple tutorial showing the carving of a logo from a digital image:
http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/exa ... carve.html

And here is a more advanced tutorial showing how to carve a continuous surface from a portrait photograph:
http://www.designscomputed.com/vs3d/exa ... mboss.html

PS: VS3D also outputs CAM files compatible with Thermwood routers.
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Thanks Dan. My image is not that complex. I am more engraving than carving. But the tutorial is neat.