Shop Drawings Definition

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

FredHirsch

Shop Drawings Definition

Post by FredHirsch »

Ok, showing my lack of intelligence here... I see a number of people asking for shop drawings out of eCabs. Can someone point me to a specific definition of a shop drawing (what all must be included in the case of a kitchen)... and who drawing is intended for and who is using them. Been using eCabs and the THM router and the guys on the floor use labels and assembly marks for assembly. Had someone ask recently for shop drawings and to be honest with you I'm not exactly sure what MUST be included. Another person in the office does the shop drawings for us and he couldn't give me an answer. I don't expect to get the drawing out of eCabs, but just wondering how close I could get with the lde.
Thanks,
Fred
Fred Hirsch
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Shop Drawings Definition

Post by Michael S Murray »

HI Fred,
Here is a very simple set of shop drawings.
Its a small commercial job, I do get most of my residential done with e-cabs.
Commercial is a whole other beast.
HTH,
Attachments
arnett clinic.pdf
(908.68 KiB) Downloaded 694 times
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Fred....
I dont know personally of a definition for shop drawings, but I havent scoured the AIA docs looking for them. I am sure there is a generic definition in there somewhere.

What I have experienced on both commercial and residential jobs, is a list, usually from the Architect or Designer, that includes a cabinet schedule with sizes and finish, a plan view, an elevation for each plane, and cuts that show shelves, joinery, fasteners etc. Also a hardware schedule.

Very few jobs require ALL of these and it seems that each design professional has their own specifics. Since many provide a plan, elevations, finish and hardware schedules or specs, all we have been required to do is provide elevations that show fillers added and size descrepancies from the provided plans and then only when there is a difference (usually always) Many areas have their own preferrences as to what is required. Hope this helps.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
FredHirsch

Post by FredHirsch »

Mike and Gary,
Thanks for the input. You guys have confirmed what was in my gut. Mike those drawings you provided are a whole lot more detailed then I've ever produced. Very well done. I got a little spooked because this request came from a large corp and I'm scratching my head thinking I don't want to screw this up... I usually start with the lde and then work on them in CAD to fill in all the details.
Thanks again,
Fred
Fred Hirsch
Bryan J Tanner
Guru Member
Company Name: Decor Designz

Post by Bryan J Tanner »

FredHirsch wrote:I usually start with the lde and then work on them in CAD to fill in all the details.
Ok, so this idea interested me. But i can't seem to find how to get drawings from ecabinets to another CAD software.

How do you do this Fred?
HP Pavilion DV6
2.27 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 430
3064 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Fred the short answere is you can not. Sorry