material leftover from last nesting

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

material leftover from last nesting

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi guys,
Had a friend who just taken delivery of a new cnc which was not a Thermwood. He was bragging about how his software you can leave the off-cut from the last nest on the table and send that into the next nest.
I'm fairly sure we can do that to plus ours is true shape off-cut. Am I correct in this as I am not using this and should be.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Re: material leftover from last nesting

Post by jason galbraith »

Hi Neville , I guess using scrap part recovery and labels you could make that happen. There are lots of programs won't let you true shape nest unless you spend a lot of $.

regards

Jason
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Neville,
Yes you can use true shape nesting in your next nest or any nest after the offcut has been created. If you use a barcode scanner your label printer will print a barcode for the offcut so you can either use it straight away or months down the track depending on how good your offcut sorting system is :)
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Do you have to square it up with the Thermwood or can you leave what weird shape it is? I have a feeling it needs to trim it up before it creates a label. If we could leave it as it comes from the last nest it would be quicker and we might pick up a $1.00 of material.
The main reason is so you don't have to move it and reposition into the 0,0 position. Saving time.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Thermwood routers certainly do allow you to select a given piece of Off Fall for additional nesting of parts. In order to get TWD Control Nesting to save the Off Fall piece in the Off Fall library, you will need to make sure your SETTINGS have the No Off Falls option UNCHECKED. You will also need to go into the Nesting Parameters button in SETTINGS and set the MIN Square for Off to the amt. you desire. In the event you want a given piece of Off Fall to be consider when creating a particular nest, you will need to go into the Add Sheets Button located in main control nesting area and select the desired Off Fall piece prior to selecting the NEST button. When selecting the Off Fall piece in the Add Sheets area, you will notice that there is a significant amt. of information regarding a given piece of off fall, so if you do not have the bar code scanner and would like to select a piece that you just processed it is likely you can find it rather easily. Just let us know if you have further questions or concerns about this feature.
Larry Epplin
Thermwood Team

Post by Larry Epplin »

Just to add to Ryan's post. There is also the ability to automatically run the last off-fall created. I believe this is the ability to which your friend is referring. The option can be turned on in Quick Cut Options by checking "Automatically Run Off-Fall". To have it work for all jobs you will need to also select the "Apply these settings to Non-Quick Cut Jobs" as well.

This feature will tell Control Nesting to perform a "Rolling Nest". Once this is enabled the Off-Fall that is generated on the last sheet of the previous Nest will automatically be loaded and used for Nesting. The Off-Fall must remain in it's previous location. DO NOT MOVE IT. If you do not wish to use the previous off-fall then it can be deleted in the Add Sheet area.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Great Ryan & Larry. That is what I was hoping for. I can get the most recovery from the left over material and the operator doesn't spend time repositioning it.
Thanks a million.

Regards
Neville
Neville Australia