Mac with Ecab

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael Vendryes

Mac with Ecab

Post by Michael Vendryes »

Hello all
I'm looking for help with a brand new 27" mac runining windows 7 using parallels 5. I downloaded ecab version 6 build 3 and ecabinets does work, but when I try to render or add a counter top it appears to frezze, I called ecab help desk they said it should work fine , but they don't support mac even though its really opperating on a in windows
If some one could please try and explain to me what im doing wrong in simple easy to understand not to tech like langauge I would be most grateful.
Thankyou
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Mac with Ecab

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Michael,

I don't know anything about Macs but I think you would still need a top end graphics card to use eCabinets on a Mac.
I would start there and see if your card specs meet the eCabinets requirements.

Kerry
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

If you could install Windows on a Boot Camp partition, you will notice a VERY significant increase in performance - Parallels did not work too well for me, and I have 8 cores running at some ridiculous clock speed....I basically went into the Apple store and said "gimme the best you got" in a Mac Pro....Still disappointing running in VM Fusion as well. Boot camp flies so much better than any PC I've ever used, so you might consider giving that a shot. I bet it will solve any potential conflicts you may have as well.
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Michael Vendryes

Post by Michael Vendryes »

Well there you go, did exactly what Josh said to do and it works great now in fact much quicker than my old PC, for some reason the Mac optical mouse does not allow me to expand, so im using another usb mouse which is woking fine, thanks for your help boot camp not Parallels is the way to go. :D
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

I may be mistaken, but I think the Mac graphics are a part of the motherboard, hardwired right on there somehow, not necessarily something you can upgrade even if you wanted to.
If I'm wrong, please correct me - but it seems that is why they simply kick @$$ with graphics - there's nothing I can do to my Mac to slow it down.
If I didn't like it so much at home, I'd bring it to the office and replace my PC!
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Josh Rayburn wrote:I may be mistaken, but I think the Mac graphics are a part of the motherboard, hardwired right on there somehow, not necessarily something you can upgrade even if you wanted to.
If I'm wrong, please correct me - but it seems that is why they simply kick @$$ with graphics - there's nothing I can do to my Mac to slow it down.
If I didn't like it so much at home, I'd bring it to the office and replace my PC!
jnr
The iMac model has the discrete ATI Radeon HD or nVidia GeForce FX right on the motherboard. The Mac Pro has a PCI-X card that can theoretically be "upgraded", although Apple does offer a Quadro FX card for that tower PC.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Look at that, I learn something new every day!
I wonder about my MacPro at home, I'll have to check and see what's under the hood then.....Quite frankly I left the Apple store with what they gave me and I've never had a reason to upgrade anything yet. Been happy ever since! :)
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400