Ecabinets with Win 7?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

markvan

Ecabinets with Win 7?

Post by markvan »

I was just considering upgrading from XP to Windows 7. How does ecabinets run in Win 7? Would it have to be run in 'xp mode'?

Is it worth upgrading? I have to re-install windows anyway, as things are getting slow....time for a fresh install, also thought win 7 may work better with my I7 processor, in some other applications (like HD video editing....)
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Ecabinets with Win 7?

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Mark,

I've heard that 7 runs faster than XP from a few of Thermwoods Ecab guys. I plan on doing an upgrade as well. If you go with Pro or Ultimate you can run in XP mode if necessary.

Forrest
Bryan J Tanner
Guru Member
Company Name: Decor Designz

Post by Bryan J Tanner »

I run Win 7 Home Premium and it works great!!!
HP Pavilion DV6
2.27 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 430
3064 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

I'm running V6B3 on Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) and it runs fine. It's not much faster then when I ran on Windows XP Pro (32-bit). I still get occasional crashing. I've just gotten used to saving a job each time I make a change. That way when it does crash I haven't lost much work.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

One other thing - many other applications, I use regularly, run much faster with Win 7. I've not had any system crashes since I upgraded about 3 months ago. Well worth the upgrade!
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Don,

Another thing I have learned to do using eCabinets is incremental saves. Create a folder for each customer then at important intervals save kitchen_01 then kitchen_02 and on. I usually have around 12 different versions of the same job. This way if a disaster happens you can go one step back to start over instead of the beginning.

Kerry
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Donald Thomson wrote:I still get occasional crashing.

Please explain more in detail.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Rick,

It happens at random times when I'm working with hardware items, for example Drawer Slides for a cabinet. When I select the medium blue tab for Drawer slides (also happens in Hinges) under either one of the items - Drawer Front Slide or Drawer Front Slide Mount, I will click on the the little down pointing icon below where it says Hole Pattern. I then click on Clear From Selected Parts (and I don't have any parts selected) it will crash. This has happened on several occasions. I just can't get a repeatable set of conditions that I can definitively say "Do these steps and it will happen". I've been trying for a couple of months to get to that point. I'll keep plugging away at it to see if I can get it to be repeatable.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Kerry,

It looks like you work the same way I do. I have a directory for each customer (whether it's an eCabs proejct or furniture). Everything I do for this customer gets put into this directory. I also keep multiple versions so I can backtrack if I need to. Works very well.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

Donald Thomson wrote:Rick,

It happens at random times when I'm working with hardware items, for example Drawer Slides for a cabinet. When I select the medium blue tab for Drawer slides (also happens in Hinges) under either one of the items - Drawer Front Slide or Drawer Front Slide Mount, I will click on the the little down pointing icon below where it says Hole Pattern. I then click on Clear From Selected Parts (and I don't have any parts selected) it will crash. This has happened on several occasions. I just can't get a repeatable set of conditions that I can definitively say "Do these steps and it will happen". I've been trying for a couple of months to get to that point. I'll keep plugging away at it to see if I can get it to be repeatable.
Well, even if you can’t reproduce it repeatable, at least this give me a place to starting looking for something that might me wrong. Bugs are one thing. Usually, eCabinets is flexible enough to work around it. However please by all means, report all crash scenarios. Any another other examples of areas that you have had crashes when working with the hardware?
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Donald Thomson
Guru Member

Post by Donald Thomson »

Rick,

So far that's the only hardware place I've had crashing take place. I had a lock up (not a crash that Windows could catch) occur a while back and I've been trying to rack my brain to remember what I was doing when it happened. If it happens again, I will report it to you right away.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
509-671-6230
Newport, WA