10mm drill bit

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Dale Wills
Company Name: none

10mm drill bit

Post by Dale Wills »

We have just bought a 10mm drill bit for out thermwood and are having trouble getting the machine to use it. I have it set up sitting in bar bar changer. I have the diameter set to 10mm, the daylight is set and I have set an operation for it to drill. I've been testing it with operations that require 10mm drill holes and it won't use the 10mm drill. Any ideas
Dale
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Dale

What is the thermwood using if it is not the 10mm drill bit?

If the thermwood is using another bit try ticking that cutter off for using drill operation and then the thermwood should use the 10mm bit if you have it set up to the material you are using. E.G 18mm white board set up in group 1 and the 10mm drill bit set up in the operation tool(s) setup

It might not use the 10mm drill bit if the diameter of the bit is set to 10mm and the hole you want to cut is 10mm try maybe 9.9mm diameter.

Cheers
Thom Davies
Dale Wills

still problem

Post by Dale Wills »

It is using our 6mm cutter and doing a little donut to achieve the 10mm hole. This 6mm cutter does not have the drill operaton ticked. I have the 10mm drill bit set to drill and no other cutter is set to drill. We do not have our tooling groups set up yet. I have set the 10mm drill to diameters of 9.9, 10 and 10.1 and it won't use it with either of them. Any ideas.
Dale Wills
Thom Davies
Guru Member
Company Name: Dawn Group

Post by Thom Davies »

Hey Dale

That 6mm cutter is it set to interpolate?
Dale Wills

Post by Dale Wills »

yes the 6mm cutter is set to interpolate...what can i do now..(what does internpolate mean...i forget)
Paul Ford
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Paul Ford »

Hi Dale,
Try setting your 10mm cutter to interpolate.
The interpolate setting tells your cutter that it can drill a hole upto 2 times the diameter of your cutter.
You could try leaving your 6mm cutter set to interpolate and then also set your 10mm to interpolate aswell. It \"Should\" then use your 10mm bit to drill your 10mm hole. If this doesnt work then deselect interpolate on your 6mm cutter.
You will have to tell your machine that the 10mm cutter is smaller than 10mm. It could be 9.9mm and then it should work.
Hope this helps,
Paul.
Dale Wills

Post by Dale Wills »

i just fixed the prob....had the 6mm cutter interpolation set to 10mm...i dropped it to 9mm and had no probs from then on..cheers
dale