multiple users of ecab

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Tom Goodman
Company Name: Stephenson Millwork

multiple users of ecab

Post by Tom Goodman »

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone has multiple users of ecabinet? If so, how do you prevent two users renaming the same item with different names? I guess the editing and creation parts would have to be installed on each users local drive. Can / should the library be on a network? Maybe each user maintains their own library. We are a medium sized commercial shop and will eventually have four users.
All comments appreciated.

Tom Goodman
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Re: multiple users of ecab

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Tom,
I have asked this question before but the answer I got was that you can backup and save a master system so have a duplicate of one system. If you have two users creating cabinets you have to sync folders by using a sync program . I use drop box.
Only one person can modify the seed cabinets and if the secondary person does modify it needs to be saved a different name. Well that's the way I see it. I could be wrong. I had thought about putting the cabinet seed files on a server but that would really slow things down. We need the speed.
So far its working well.

Regards

Neville
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Re: multiple users of ecab

Post by Rick Deskins »

The backup and sync was the way to share files between computers in V5 and still works today. However now in V6, we have opened up the UserData Path that can be set in Settings/Preferences. This allows the first user to map a network share path to a drive letter, then set his eCabinets UserData Path to that new drive letter. It will then ask to copy his data over to that new location, the first user will say yes. Every user after that would map the same network share path to a drive letter on their pc, then change their UserData Path to that drive letter. When it ask to copy the data over, you would say No. The only thing about this method is that right now there is no file locking. So, one user could overwrite a file that another user was working on.

Rick
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900