barb bit and joint

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Ray Jorgensen
Company Name: Classic Custom Wood

barb bit and joint

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Just got the e-mail on the new barb joint/bit. Looks awsome. Are ther any considerations to take into account on the settings side, either in e-cabs or at the controller?

Thanks
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: barb bit and joint

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Hello Ray,

I've not received all the details regarding this feature as of yet, however, as I understand it you will basically be setting up the design same as you've done with a blind dados before and then it is simply a matter of tooling setup on the cnc to select the barbed bit for cutting dados with groove in them. There should be more information regarding this feature in the Control Nesting Manual when version 5.59 is released.
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Thanks Ryan, Guess I'll wait for the CN version to learn more.
Ryan Hochgesang

One other bit of information regarding this feature, you can order the custom tool for this method of machining through Thermwood's Wood Workers Wholesale site:

Link:
http://www.woodworkerswholesale.com/Sea ... earch.y=11
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

Any picture of what this joint looks like ?

Thank you.
Ray Jorgensen

Post by Ray Jorgensen »

Here's a link to a video that should explain it. Looks cool. I'm waiting for my bit to get here and try it.

http://www.thermwood.com/thermwood_barb_dado_joint.htm
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

The Control Nesting 5.59 Update mentions that:
  • Barbed tool option implemented. Barbed Dado is an option with eCabinet Systems Version 6.0 Build 5.
Does this mean that the Barbed Dado feature will not be usable until the next build is released?
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Ryan Hochgesang

The main answer to this question would be YES. The Barbed Dado feature is only to be fully available once eCab V6 B5 has been released.

However, it is my understanding that the barbed dado feature operates pretty much the same as the blind dado operation. It is likely that you can just set up the barbed tool in place of your current Blind Dado tool so that when blind dados are machined you will get the barbs for construction.
Michael RA Greschuk

Post by Michael RA Greschuk »

Hi Is this bit going to be available in 3/8 diameter?
thanks,
Mike
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

We use 0.03 tolerance....so I thinik barbed dado might not work for us ? I'm a right that you have to have tight dados so barbed works ? In the video, the cabinet maker assemble cabinets with an hammer..we don't do that, it's faster to have more tolerance and nail it. I think...
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Dan,

I am going to butt in here. My interpretation is that the point of the Barbed Dado is to eliminate clamping and nailing. You assemble the box with light taps from a mallet and the barbs hold everything in place until the glue has its initial set. This eliminates any exposed fasteners and any problems they cause like occasional blowout and should speed production.

If you are going to continue to nail then there would be no need for the barbed dado.

Kerry
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

What I meant is that it does not look like small tap on the video.. But I'll try it anyway and keep you post, I might use it for drawer boxes. The thing is that when you have tall pieces it's hard to assemble when there is not enough tolerance and you have to "tap" it.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Dan,
I have seen a sample of the barbed joint and it is pretty impressive. Ken's video is a bit deceiving because the table he is working on is so unstable it looks like he is having to work too hard to assemble the pieces, It is not that way. You will also have control over how tight the joint is. You will set the tolerances so the barbs hold and you do not have to use excessive force to assemble. There will be a setting for Barb Dado Joint in eCabinets and this will allow you to use different tolerance settings for barbed and blind dadoes. If you want you can leave the difficult tall cabinets plain blind dado and use barbed joints for other cabinets. eCabinets will let you decide and provide the proper settings.

It is worth looking at.
Ryan Hochgesang

Regarding Barbed tooling for new feature, keep a look out on the Woodworkers Wholesale site, but as for now, we only offer the 1/4" dia. tool.

Link to tooling:
http://www.woodworkerswholesale.com/Sea ... earch.y=11
DanFecteau
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by DanFecteau »

Just place my order for mine, I will keep you post.