Adding Shelf Lips...

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Karl Shikles
Company Name: Karls Custom Cabinets

Adding Shelf Lips...

Post by Karl Shikles »

For the life of me I can't figure out how to add a lip to an adjustable shelf (or a fixed one, for that matter). I'm currently trying to design a library system a la New Yankee Workshop, but I usually add these to exposed shelves both for strength and to give a more robust appearance. I realize that there's probably a very simple solution to this problem that I'm overlooking. Thanks for your time.
shelf picture.jpg
shelf picture.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
shelf photo.jpg
shelf photo.jpg (21.15 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
Bryan J Tanner
Guru Member
Company Name: Decor Designz

Re: Adding Shelf Lips...

Post by Bryan J Tanner »

I'm not sure that there is an easy way to do this, but I'd be inclined to use a stretcher.

Maybe some of the other guys could give some other ideas.
HP Pavilion DV6
2.27 gigahertz Intel Core i5 M 430
3064 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Windows 7 Home Premium
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Karl Shikles wrote:For the life of me I can't figure out how to add a lip to an adjustable shelf (or a fixed one, for that matter). I'm currently trying to design a library system a la New Yankee Workshop, but I usually add these to exposed shelves both for strength and to give a more robust appearance. I realize that there's probably a very simple solution to this problem that I'm overlooking. Thanks for your time.
I just took a standard cab and deleted everything but the top and Face frame and made the FF 1". Now you save it as a shelf and it is totally resizeable. You can take the FF to the part editor and run a profile on it if you want to.
shelf.jpg
shelf.jpg (12.65 KiB) Viewed 8336 times
Karl Shikles

Post by Karl Shikles »

That's effin Brilliant! This will really come in handy as I build a lot of custom built-ins. Thanks! Another dumb question, though...is there a way to save it and bring them up in the shelf editor, or are you just adding a bunch of resized shelves posing as cabinet files to your cut list?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Karl,

Just create an edge banding that is 3/4" thick, 1" wide and whatever your stick length is (used 120")
Choose that edge banding for the front edge of your shelves and they will be sized properly and you will show the material you need in edge banding.
The edge will show trimmed the thickness of the shelf graphically but all the cut list and costing info will be correct. You will not be able to show the round over graphically.
shelf.jpg
shelf.jpg (224.63 KiB) Viewed 8333 times
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Karl Shikles wrote:That's effin Brilliant! This will really come in handy as I build a lot of custom built-ins. Thanks! Another dumb question, though...is there a way to save it and bring them up in the shelf editor, or are you just adding a bunch of resized shelves posing as cabinet files to your cut list?
They will come up in your cut list named whatever name that you saved them as. No you can't bring them up in the shelf editor but you can add as many as you like to a cabinet at one time and then just move them around to place them properly. You might want to try Kerry's way if you want it in the shelf editor. Kerry -- I never new that your edge banding could be that thick. Good trick.
Karl Shikles

Post by Karl Shikles »

Yeah...defining a new edge banding stock seems to be the easiest way. If I need to render it graphically for a client then I'll just place some stretchers at the front of the shelves for them. Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. Working through these problems is really helping me get proficient with this software.