Waterborne Stain and Finish

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

John J. Desmond
Company Name: American Millwork Company

Waterborne Stain and Finish

Post by John J. Desmond »

Is anyone familiar with Gemini WB stains and finishes? I am doing a LEED house and they are wanting, at best, low VOC plywood, stain and finishes. Gemini seems to know what they are doing. Anyone have any advice?

John
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Waterborne Stain and Finish

Post by Kerry Fullington »

John,

I have used Gemini stains and solvent base lacquers in the past but not any of the waterborne.

I have been using Target Coatings for waterborne lacquers and polyurethane. They have a waterborne conversion varnish that I would like to try but haven't yet. They also offer a waterborne varnish that will produce the ambering effect of solvent varnish.

Gemini has a great reputation in my area and I think their products will be very good. I made a decision after finding Target that I would stop experimenting with different companies. Every product sprays differently and once you find something you like stick with it. So I stay with Target.
John J. Desmond
Company Name: American Millwork Company

Re: Waterborne Stain and Finish

Post by John J. Desmond »

Thanks Kerry. I have been told by several that the grain rises a lot with WB stains. They say use a sealant but does that allow the stain to soak in after the sealer is applied? I looked at Target and it seems really good. They offer a lot of information much like Gemini.

John