Unnecessary Cabinet Re-generation?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Unnecessary Cabinet Re-generation?

Post by Kerry Fullington »

When I open a cabinet in the Cabinet Editor then open Construction Settings for that cabinet and exit Construction Settings without making a change, the cabinet still does a complete re-build. Why is this? It eats up a lot of time.

It is also the same if I take the cabinet to the Door/Drawer Front Editor and return without making any changes. The cabinet still goes through the re-build process.

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Unnecessary Cabinet Re-generation?

Post by DanEpps »

It seems like we have discussed this several times in the past and the idea of a "regen" button was offered. I agree that a lot of time is wasted with regens happening with every move you make.

I understand the need to regen when, for instance, going from the faceframe editor to the door/drawer editor--as long as changes were made in the faceframe editor. The unnecessary regen comes when no changes have been made in the faceframe editor and you go to the next editor.

Every editor should keep track of whether changes have actually been made in that area and the regen skipped if there were no changes.

The same thing applies for construction settings--no changes, no regen.
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

This regen is especially time consuming if you have in-house built drawer boxes and doors. Each drawer/door goes through a regen along with the cabinet. Time consuming and a waste of time if no changes were made.
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Gentlemen,

Going in and out of Editors and between editors has been fine tuned to not regen the cabinet if no changes are made. However, I do see an oversight we made where if 5 piece doors/drawers exist, they will regen going in/out or to other editors from the door/drawer editor (but it's only the doors/drawer fronts regenerating not the entire cabinet) and also the drawer box editor has same issue, (again, but it's only the drawer boxes that regen). Still unnecessary and sorry we missed this. It is resolved for the next release. FYI: The shelf/partition, molding, edgebanding, stretcher, and face frame editors do not have this issue.

Now, as far as going into construction settings and selecting OK, this will do a complete regen regardless of any changes. Currently, that is how it is. If you do not want to regen the cabinet, select Cancel.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Donald Thomson
Guru Member
Company Name: Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks

Post by Donald Thomson »

Thank you Scott!

One other thing that, I think, should be addressed is when you go to exit the program. You can save a job, then go to exit and you will be asked if you want to save it again (even though you just did). Is there a way to put in a switch that says no changes have been made so go ahead and exit without prompting to save again?

And yes, all of the editors are MUCH. MUCH faster then they were in previous releases. Great job and kudo's to the whole TWD staff for a great release!! :beer: :beer:
Sincerely,

Don Thomson
Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
509-671-6230
Newport, WA
http://www.dlwoodworks.com
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Donald Thomson wrote:Thank you Scott!

One other thing that, I think, should be addressed is when you go to exit the program. You can save a job, then go to exit and you will be asked if you want to save it again (even though you just did). Is there a way to put in a switch that says no changes have been made so go ahead and exit without prompting to save again?

And yes, all of the editors are MUCH. MUCH faster then they were in previous releases. Great job and kudo's to the whole TWD staff for a great release!! :beer: :beer:
Along that same line: When you save a cabinet or assembly you are prompted for a name but not for a job (other than the first save). Many times I create a job and save it. Then I make several versions of the same job and if I forget to go to the file menu and select "Save Job As" I overwrite the existing job file. Can the save functions be changed to work the same everywhere (ask for file name)?