Workshop visitor

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Workshop visitor

Post by Mark McCallum »

The other day I walked straight past this guy and then caught a glimpse of him from the corner of my eye. Nearly gave my neck whiplash.
This is a small to medium diamond python and they are fairly common around here. You can see how the yellow dots make a diamond pattern on his/her skin which is where they get their name from. It is springtime and after winter she has come around looking for food (rats and mice nests full of juicy babies.)
As you can tell from the photo they are so harmless even I feel comfortable around them. (well almost)
Attachments
Diamond Python.jpg
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Workshop visitor

Post by DanEpps »

Great photo! About how long is the snake?

I'm glad you recognize the importance of snakes and let them go about their business. I continously try to educate folks around here not to mindlessly kill on sight every snake they see. Even the venomous ones have a function to perform and won't bother you if you just let them be. I will catch venomous snakes and move them away from populated areas so they don't come into contact with snake-haters.
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

Beautiful!
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Wow!! I'd be running like hell, harmless or not!
Pretty cool photo though...did you name him...her....the snake??
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

The snake was about 5' But i didn't pull out the tape measure and It didn't hang around long enough to establish a fist name relationship :) .
I find snakes really shy and they and they seem to quickly disappear as soon as they see you.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Ha. Easy for you Aussies to say. You eat your breakfast with crocodiles and your supper with snakes. Or the other way around.

I am terrified by snakes. Doesn't matter how many times I've watched Steve Irwin or how many articles I've read about them. I see one I run. I might even scream like a little girl while I am running. I think no other animal terrifies me more. I have no time to make sure if it's venomous or not.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Don't why you guys are worried about snakes as you name your cars after them. Ford Cobra with a cobra jet motor, Dodge viper and Dodge copperhead( a concept car). Then again I guess they can bite if you too heavy with the gas.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Dennis G. Blackburn

Post by Dennis G. Blackburn »

I don't like anything that "slithers", but I don't like to harm snakes. I carefully pick them up with a long arm garbage picker upper and take them over on my neighbors property to release. We mostly get pine snakes, black racers, rat snakes, grass snakes and once in a while a pigmy rattler. I DO NOT mess with the water moccasons. By the way - my neighbor has a realy big property so it's not like I am releaseing them where the kids play.
Mark McCallum
Guru Member

Post by Mark McCallum »

We mostly get pine snakes, black racers, rat snakes, grass snakes and once in a while a pigmy rattler.
Yikes!!! And you wonder why no one wants to come over and visit :lol:
Dennis G. Blackburn

Post by Dennis G. Blackburn »

Yeah - I've got lots of snakes but NO MICE ! :lol: