Help with DXF

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Help with DXF

Post by Brian Shannon »

I need some help to create a DXF file that I can take into the Part Editor and cut out the letters on this sign. I have been able to convert this to a DXF but I get an error when attempting to select the lines. Any help from someone with another CAD/CAM program would be much appreciated. This also needs to be approx. 32" wide. Thanks in advance.

Brian
Custom Wood-N-Cabinets
Attachments
Travelodge logo.zip
(9.29 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
travelodge_logo.gif
travelodge_logo.gif (5.29 KiB) Viewed 13493 times
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Help with DXF

Post by Brian Shannon »

The error reads: The contour selected has intersecting edges. Trimming any such edges may resolve this problem!

Brian
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Your zip file has the AI file in it nd not the dxf file. If you could attach the zip file I will gladly look at it for you to see where the issue is..
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Brian do you intend machining this on a Thermwood or is this just to put in an eCabs presentation?
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Here is the dxf. It was converted from another file type and that may be part of my problem. I do plan to cut out the letters on my Thermwood. Thanks guys.

Brian
Attachments
Travelodge_dxf.zip
(14.28 KiB) Downloaded 412 times
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Hi Brian. i can do the DXF for you but the last time I tried machining numbers and or letters from a DXF or a TWD there were some pretty serious cutter comp issues. The only way i got it right was to do the work in MasterCam
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Looking at this dxf file you are going to have problems. The first thing is that the software you used to produce it created duplicate entities. This means there are 2 or more copies placed right on top of each other. The second issue is that the lines it created are all jagged when you zoom in. You said you would be cutting this on the machine. These small jagged lines will cause poor cut quality. Im not sure if you are wanting to pocket the letters or cut the letters out. Either way the geometry should be cleaned up, but if you are going to pocket them, then the whole sign would need to be redesigned so it doesn't have inside bounderies on pockets. We do offer custom programming were we could do all of this for you. If you are interested, contact Ryan Hochgesang for a free quote. Program@thermwood.com
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Brian you are giving us pretty general ideas of what you want to make. The sign can be make in eCabinets as twd. I would avoid doing it as dxf and then importing in CN.

Looking at the hotel logo it seems like you want to do something like the attached picture
Attachments
IMG00062-20101110-1222.zip
(634.52 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I want to cut out the Letters, leaving the background. I thought that I would need a .dxf to do this in the Part Editor, then take to the router. I did not think to try to convert the file to a .twd. Maybe that would work. I will check with Ryan for a quote but this is just a favor for a friend. Hell, maybe I'll get a free night at Travelodge!

Brian
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

I fixed your DXF and used it on a display panel in eCabs and generated this JPEG of the result. I hope it is clear enough. One of the immediate problems is that it removes the centre of closed letters like "O" . The other problems I had only become apparent when you actually start machining where you get some letters becoming larger because it cuts on the wrong side of the line
Travelodge (2).jpg
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Oh yes almost forgot!! One can fix the problem of the removal of the centre of the letters by splitting the letters down the centre. I am not sure how it would physically machine though. If you like I will create a TWD file for you to try just give me the gross dimensions of the sign. I know it must be 32" but how high?
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

That would be great Nick. 32" is the only dim. I need to stick to. whatever the height ends up after scaling is fine.

Thanks so much!

Brian
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Brian try this on a piece of scrap board and see how it goes. There will be errors but I just want to see if it machines at all. Also what depth do you want to cut at? I have set it at 10mm and used a 16mm display panel. Sorry about all the time delay and the metric I am in South Africa
Attachments
Travel.zip
(168.17 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

Thanks Nick!

I'll give it a shot!

Brian
Brian Shannon
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Brian Shannon »

I was able to cut something. It is a little rough/jagged and I think the size is a little large due to the metric conversion I think. Can you send the fixed .DXF or .esa file and maybe I can tweek it a bit on this end to make it work. Thanks for the time you are putting into this Nick. I'll send pictures of what I cut after I resize them so they will send.

Thanks,

Brian