Broken Hinge

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

Dennis G. Blackburn

Broken Hinge

Post by Dennis G. Blackburn »

I have a broken hinge on this Armoire that is about 40 years old. It is part of a bedroom set made by the furniture company Century. I am told that you can not contact Century but have to go through a dealership. I have not been succesful with that avenue. Has anyone seen such a hinge or know how I go about getting a replacement. I do not think it is real brass - just brass antique finish. I was told this is probably a custom hinge by Century. There is very little magnetic pull on the metal. I was told it may be "pot" metal. Reason for breakage seems to be no lubrication and the hinge pin seized. Yes - that's right - I never lubricated my bedroom set hinges in 40 years. (My Bad) I have searched all over the internet and can't find anything that is even close. Maybe someone makes custom replacements?
Attachments
Showing back side of hinge. 3 screws to the mortised door and 3 to the cabinet.
Showing back side of hinge. 3 screws to the mortised door and 3 to the cabinet.
broken hinge 2.jpg (33.55 KiB) Viewed 14253 times
Showing how hinge is shown with closed doors
Showing how hinge is shown with closed doors
broken hinge1.jpg (28.26 KiB) Viewed 14253 times
Picture of Armoire
Picture of Armoire
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Broken Hinge

Post by DanEpps »

That is an unusual hinge Dennis. Is it a lift-off hinge?

You might try Ball & Ball or Whitechapel to see if they can make one for you. You might want to replace all of the existing hinges if you can get them made. Of course once you get the price for a one-off custom hinge you may decide to just use duct tape! :joker:
Dennis G. Blackburn

I hate to replace them all because it is the same hinge on my Wife's dressor. It's just a door hinge. The two parts that fasten on are hidden. 3 of the screws fasten onto the edge of the door and fit into hinge pockets. The part that fastens to the edge of the cabinet - just fastens onto a flush surface.

All these years I thought they were brass hinges. I was a little shocked to see they were (probably) "pot" metal. Pretty sure they are not brazeable or weldable - or I would take a chance at fixing it myself. It may be that the remaining two hinges on the door will do enough to bear the load and maybe I can just put this broken one back on for "looks". I'm 61 now and plan to live at least another 45 years. Maybe if I can get through another 40 years - I will replace all the hinges and turn the furniture over to my kids. I've always been proud of our Century and Henredon Furniture - but this POT METAL thing has thrown me for a loop. I wouldn't even expect that on some Chinese import. :wall:

I will check out the leads you gave me. Thanks Dan
Dennis G. Blackburn

BY THE WAY - there are lefts and rights. I just need a "left". I will make sure to lubricate them now - maybe every 5 years.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

What I mean by lift-off is that the hinge allows you to lift-off the door without removing the hinges. That is, the top of the hinge comes off the bottom part. It looks like the bottom knuckle has a pin that extends into the barrel of the upper knuckle.

If this is the case you might be able to replace the blades with a hidden hinge and just stick (did I say glue?) the decorative part onto the outside of the door (or even to the knuckle of the "new" hinge). To do this you would probably have to remove material on the back side of the knuckle so it would just be a shell that sits on top of the replacement hinge knuckle.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Denis, do you think the hinge can be repaired? Like welded? It look like the seam left from the weld won't show and hopefully it'll be strong enough given that you put some W40 from time to time.
Dennis G. Blackburn

Dan - yes they are lift off hinges, however the manufacturer chose to put two lefts and one right on one side and the opposite on the other so the doors can not be lifted off. I think that by putting at least one of the hinges on upside down - is what caused some gauling and seazing of the pin. I suppose I could change that since there are 3 lefts and 3 rights and do as you suggest.
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

That's definitely cast ("pot") metal. It can't be welded, it'll just disintegrate.

I think Dan's onto something, there. Find a hinge that you can conceal behind the original one.

I'm tempted to suggest trying some of that "steel" epoxy putty to glue the parts back together, but I don't know if that would work, because there just isn't much surface there...not to mention, that stuff rarely lives up to its sometimes ridiculous claims. :wink:
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Dennis G. Blackburn

Georgi, From my past experience, I have never been successful welding "pot metal". Maybe it can be done - but The doors are actually opening and closeing really good right now with just two hinges. I'll give Robb & Stucky a little more time to try to locate - then maybe try putting the broken hinge back on - just for looks ??(with some epoxy)?? I just don't want my kids to think (in the year 2055) when they inherit this furniture - "Oh man, look what Dad did - he jury rigged this hinge"!!! :oops:
Dennis G. Blackburn

Jeremy - Right ! AND maybe by the year 2020 they will have some super duper glue or epoxy that works even better than the stuff we have now.
BY THE WAY Jeremy, Thanks for the Christmas card. I ran a little late this year getting them out and missed you. You are already on my list for next year though.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Why not just take the one off the other side that is not doing every thing and swap it out?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Will Williamson wrote:Why not just take the one off the other side that is not doing every thing and swap it out?
Along this line of thought...you might want to move a center hinge to the bottom position to relieve stress on that door.
Dennis G. Blackburn

Good ideas - I could replace this bottom left hing with one off the center of the door. I was thinking of doing away with the broken (3 screw hole section) and use a couple small brass counter sunk screws through the hinge face and through the door instead - then file off the head of the screw driver slot flush and put a little stain on the screw heads. :idea:

Still going to give Robb & Stucky a little more time though. :roll:
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

If you do that (put screws in the face), do it to all of them so they will match. Also, do the same to any other pieces that have the same style hinge so everything in the room will match. :wink:
Dennis G. Blackburn

Dan, Wow - you are making me do a lot of work there. If I proceed - I will start with one and these would be really small brass machine screws. I'd try to dob a lttle stain on them to cover them up. Just got a reply from Robb & Stucky and commented he has had no replies from the rep at Century. He's gonna try one more time. This style of furniture was manufactured for over 10 years. Seems like they would have a few hinges laying around somewhere or turned them over to a service company. :wall: