Hardware Holes in Backs

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Hardware Holes in Backs

Post by Kerry Fullington »

It has become important to me to be able to automatically add hardware holes to backs of cabinets. We have the ability to select a slide mount and associate hole patterns to them but they will not add that pattern to the back of a cabinet. This is an important feature when building face frame cabinets. I have a work-around but it is so cumbersome it negates the benefits of machining on a router.

Kerry
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Hardware Holes in Backs

Post by Forrest Chapman »

I do the same thing Kerry as I'm sure so many others do. It would be nice if they were automatically applied. I'm sure others will chime in about having holes bored in the fronts for metabox clips which is equally important.

Forrest
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Forrest,

Hopefully the Meta-Box clip holes and the rear slide mount holes can be killed with the same stone.

Kerry
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Did someone say metabox drawer front clips? What a great idea.
If this does happen hopefully Thermwood will test run these. We drill them manually as in a door that acts as a drawer bank that we drill say for 4 drawers high then router a groove to separate. If you are going to drill these via Ecabinets and they happen to be bought in drawers like laquered,timber or foil wrapped how do you stop them moving being so small and how do you keep them square? Do you drill them one at a time?
Maybe we drill a jig produced by Ecabinets and drill manually or do we have a jig we place on the Thermwood to hold these small parts from moving.
No worries,I'm sure the boffins will have the answer.
Sorry to hijack your post Kerry but holes in the backs or anywhere should be available to us.

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Kerry....

As I have warned you.... Welcome to the "Dark Side" :)

The machines capabilities are endless. So is the frustration of being " " That close.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Neville, we currently do this in another cabinet software and if it is not a slab door we have to do it as a secondary in our flip op corner with some blocking sometimes to hold it in place. For regular boring placements we just use a dedicated Blum machine.

Forrest
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Thanks Forrest for the info. So if its a flip operation you do each drawer front individually. So it would not much faster than using the Blum machine? I guess the advanatge you could have semi skilled staff use the machine a bit like those catfish catchers catches I get video emails about. Anyone willing to put a hand down a cat fish throat would make a good Thermwood CNC operator. :lol:

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Neville,

If you are cutting slab doors from sheets I don't think it would be a flip operation. If it were, just choose to cut flip operations first then flip the whole sheet.

If you are working with solid wood or five piece doors then I agree with Forrest it would be just as good to use a dedicated machine.

Kerry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Have I mentioned that adding the ability to automatically place slide mounting bracket hardware holes in backs when adding a drawer box would make eCabinet Systems Software almost perfect. :D
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

Kerry...
IF you do ever mention that, don't forget to mention that those who outsource or build in house could use an "imaginary draw box" that would allow placement of hardware patterns and output sizes to cut/buy lists.
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gary,

Open your drawer in the Drawer Box Designer then right click and choose Purchase Options for this drawer. If you choose Build in House then a cut list will be created for this drawer and will show up under the Drawer Box Build in House tab when you export your cutlist to excel, if you choose Alternate Source Pricing no cut list will be generated and the drawer box sizes will show up under the Drawer Box Alternate Source tab when you export to excel. You can use this to price your boxes and get a list of sizes to order. You can associate your hardware hole patterns to these drawer boxes and they both will create the geometry you need to cut with.
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

No you haven't Kerry, but I sure wish some one would mention the need for pilot holes that travel with the dado.
I am not sure, but I bet several shops could use that one... :P :P
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

I didn't want the eCabinet System guys to forget how reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy important this feature is for face frame cabinets. :D

I don't want to build my CNC eCabinets libraries until it is available.

I cut my first job on the CS-43 last week and can now see that the workaround for this feature wastes time and materials and is counter productive to my goal of building boxes faster with less materials and labor.

Kerry
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Looks like Kerry has joined the Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Thermwood Show and seen the light. Welcome brother. Work arounds are for the sinners out there.
Maybe one day we can get the programmers to spend a few weeks on the job using the work arounds and the will also join this new church.
As Neil Diamond would say
"It's Love, Brother Love, say
Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show
Pack up the babies and grab the old ladies
And ev'ryone goes, 'cause everyone knows
Brother Love's show"

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Post by jason galbraith »

Have another beer Nev. :P
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au