Blind Dado VS Dowels

Off-topic discussion that doesn't pertain to the other forums.

Moderator: Jason Susnjara

FredHirsch

Blind Dado VS Dowels

Post by FredHirsch »

I'm curios as to who all is using what for joints. We do a lot of the KD fasteners but a number of our products are shipped assembled and I find myself re-thinking what we are doing. I don't have the case clamp or boring machine for dowels. Right now, we mostly do full dado and then screw from outside. I do have a THM machine that cuts most everything. The reason I'm looking to change is we do a lot of Particle board, assemble then laminate after assembled to hide fasteners, and I sure would like to be cutting pre-laminated and save the extra steps. Specifically my question is strength of the two joints and speed of assembly. Clamp time?
Thanks,
Fred
Fred Hirsch
JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Re: Blind Dado VS Dowels

Post by JohnLashuay »

Hi Fred,

We use 2 sided melamine for most of our cabinets. We usually KD the backer and we'll blind dado the top and deck. Usually we use a pilot hole when the cabinet isn't an open cabinet - this helps in assemble with less clamping. Open sided cabinets we'll use clamps in the assembly. We have found this to be a very strong cabinet and relatively a fast assembly.

-John
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Blind Dado VS Dowels

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hi Fred, we use blind dados and screw everything that does not show.
If it shows it just gets glue and clamped.
When we get ready to assemble we just pull out everything with finished ends and clamp them up first.
This is only for commercial,residential gets finished ends, either flat or raised panels, so all residential with very few exceptions can get screws.
This is one of the reasons so many of us our pressing for assembly screw holes that travel with the dado.

With that said, I have been in consideration of going back to dowels.
The dado's do increase machine time and introduce a few problems, but none that cant be dealt with.
If I had proper dowel drilling and insertion, I would definetly be looking at that.

Are you confused now??
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com