Colour/material change

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jay Rockman
Company Name: Professional Touch Woodworking

Colour/material change

Post by Jay Rockman »

I would like to be able to show a customer their custom layout in a handful of colour options quickly as in the middle of a consultation. I have read some older posts of how to do it in older versions but I can find nothing for v6b6. I see where to change sheet stock on everything at once but we build face frame cabinets so I would need to show the change in the face frames, doors and drawer fronts. Thanks.

J
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Colour/material change

Post by DanEpps »

One thing I have done in the past is to add display cubes with different colors to the layout then select all cabinets, texture match and click the appropriate display cube. This doesn't change materials for costing but it is quick if all you want to do is change colors in front of the customer.
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

DanEpps wrote:One thing I have done in the past is to add display cubes with different colors to the layout then select all cabinets, texture match and click the appropriate display cube. This doesn't change materials for costing but it is quick if all you want to do is change colors in front of the customer.
That works great and if you save each color with a different job name then it doesn't effect the original. After changing the face frames I think that you have to select all cabinets and change all the doors and drawer fronts too. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Jay Rockman
Company Name: Professional Touch Woodworking

Post by Jay Rockman »

Isn't this something that's fairly routine for people who use the rendered images to show their customers? You'd think there would be something a little more straightforward. My 2 cents.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Color/material change

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Jay,

There has never been an easy/quick way to show different colors in eCabinets. (through the years i have tried every way imaginable)

The simplest way is to change (in preferences) your image for your current sheet stock (don't change the stock only the image used for it) and then do the same for your board stock. (the board stock is only necessary if you don't have the Common with Door box checked in construction Settings/face frames) You will have to close, then reopen the job for this to take effect.
You will then need to change the color image of your default door and globally replace all your doors and drawer fronts to the new door/drawer front with the latest color image.

You will still have to take each cabinet into the cabinet editor and color match your moldings and display objects.

Long story short, don't offer this service to your customers. Choose texture images that show off your drawings with good contrast and use those. If you feel you need to change colors to sell the job, don't try to do it in front of the customer, it is too complicated and will make you look inept with the software. Make the changes at your office and send the customer jpeg images. Charge for this service as you have just become an interior designer as well as cabinet maker.

Kerry