Blind dado and outline cut not aligning - Help

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Blind dado and outline cut not aligning - Help

Post by Georgi Baltov »

I've been getting some misalignment when cutting non flip parts which is really weird. Now my boss is on my back with the phrase - " You are working on it, right?". I've attached some files but I can provide more information if it's needed. Has anyone been getting the same thing. It really started happening recently but I am not sure exactly when. Probably with one of the new builds. I wonder if it could be issue where the blind dado depth or fit clearance is added/ calculated wrong. It has happened before. Can you guys check and let me know.

The funny part is that on fixed shelves it appears on one side only and the other is flush. In the cabinet attached I'm using 0.5625" material with 0.25" blind dado. It could be the rigidity of the plywood that forces the tool away but it has happened with 0.375" tool before again. I am really at a dead end here. hopefully more people have encountered the problem it and can help with some input.

Let me know if you need more information
Attachments
Tool Missalignment.zip
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 307 times
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Re: Blind dado and outline cut not aligning - Help

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Here's the export and the g-code for the 1/2" (0.5625") thick material only.
Attachments
Misalignment.zip
(307.59 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

Georgi,

I have downloaded your files and will look at them. Sorry for the delay. Where exactly is the misalignment? Is it on the tennons?
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Hey Daniel,

yes it's on the tenons. I examined the g-code as well but there seems to be no problem at least as far as I can see.

The cut done by the 1/4" tool does not align with the outline cut of the 1/2" compression bit. I did the post to see if anyone else have noticed something like that happen to them but it seems to be me only. Check it and see if there's something but again maybe it's our issue. May be our CNC needs alignment of some sort or recalibration? We've got two of them and it's consistent. I'm not really famous for crashing the machines but it might be usage related - after a few thousand miles/hours every machine needs thorough maintenance inspection.
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

How much is the misalignment your seeing? Could it be due to cutter deflection? Maybe feed speed is too high? Is the tooling dull and in need of replacement?

Just some things to check....
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Have you got this resolved?
I was having some things like this happening and with Ryan's help we eliminated code, then I eliminated tool, spindle and toolholders.
It ended up being a drive belt was worn and torn.
Pull you covers and check your belts.....
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com