Switch Spoil value.

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Steve Detina
Company Name: Silhouette Custom Cabinets

Switch Spoil value.

Post by Steve Detina »

Ok guys correct me if I am wrong but here goes.

We have 2 machines and when I cut a cabinet on one machine with a fit clearance of .020 it goes together like butter. I cut the same cabinet on the other machine with the same tools, material from the same lift and it is very tight. What would cause this. I am not sure but i think i may have to adjust the switch spoil value, but not sure to increase or decrease it. Please help.

thanks

Steve
Ryan Hochgesang

Re: Switch Spoil value.

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Steve,

The set switch spoil value is located in the M999 macro on Pre version 7 thm controls. To edit the value, you must BLOCK STEP (+) into the macro, then scroll down and change value, next, BLOCK STEP (+) on the M99 at end of macro to exit and save your changes. For GEN II controls which are V7+, you can find the switch spoil value in the machine variables table. You can access this by selecting EDIT > Machine Variables at the top of the THM operating screen.
Steve Detina

Post by Steve Detina »

Do i increase or decrease the value. I know that I have to measure the tools and resurface spoil and surface tables once I change the value but I don't know which way to go. up or down????
Ryan Hochgesang

The switchspoil value is the difference between the surface of spoilboard and top of switch (when input is energized). If you are wanting to increase the DAYLIGHT value which would cause the tool to go deeper into material when cutting, then you need to subtract from the switch spoil value making the value smaller.
Steve Detina

Post by Steve Detina »

Ryan, when i make the value smaller does that increase the fit clearance?
Ryan Hochgesang

Yes. You would need to make the switch spoil value smaller. This will increas daylight and cause machine to cut deeper, towards table, which will intern make your tenons narrower.