Direction on each tool

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Direction on each tool

Post by Forrest Chapman »

We need to control the cut direction on each tool. I can think of a few reasons but namely today we were cutting solid wood dovetail drawers and while it is better to cut the outline in climb the tails do better cutting conventional. The outline cutting at least the last pass in climb tends to move the parts less which means if we can cut a different direction for each pass even better. If you cut the tails in climb it is shearing across the end grain with nothing on the backside to prevent blowout. So while most tools may work better going conventional on some operations, sometimes it helps to change the direction on others. As a test I ran 2 programs with the same layout cutting different directions on different operations and achieved perfect cuts.

The other thing is it would be better if the outline tool starts farther off the corner when doing dovetail parts because when it comes around on the first pass it again blows out what little wood is left on the edge. Maybe it can even start on the end.

Thanks,
Forrest
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Direction on each tool

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Forrest,

Wouldn't it be possible when setting up a tool group/tool operations to use the Reverse Spindle check box to change from a conventional cut to a climb cut for that tool?
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Kerry, short answer yes.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Kerry,
Would that not defeat the geometry design of the tool? I may not be understanding this right, but if you turn a shaper on whilst rotating the cutterhead in the wrong direction, you will not be able to cut a moulding without knocking all the carbide tips off the cutter. Would the same logic apply to the router bit which is designed to cut in either direction, but always spinning the actual tool in a clockwise rotation? Is this not two very different things?
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

You are right Josh,

It would require left and right hand tooling for this to work.

so much for that idea.

kerry
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Darn Kerry, I was hoping I was wrong and that you were on to something really cool there.....I've always wanted the ability to climb outside the outline, then conventional cut a final .02" or so, it always comes out better that way, especially with MDF products...
Oh well.... :mrgreen:
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

That is correct Kerry you can do some of what is needed by reversing spindle and opposite handed bits. I don't know of anyone doing this but the feature is available. For solid wood dovetails you need to conv. pass the first time and climb cut the skin. The climb cut is only because it holds the part better. Also I'm having an issue conv. cutting with blowout on the last nib left by the ramp in on the back end when it rounds the last corner. If you climb cut the first pass it blows out the back when it rounds the corner from "with grain" to "cross grain". The best way to achieve a clean cut is by conv. cutting the first pass ramping in farther from the edge and climbing the last. For hold down I also thought about a piece of plastic over the whole sheet. Anyone ever try that? Just cheap plastic and cut through.

Forrest
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Post by Gary Campbell »

There has been discussion on similar issues here: http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... =7&t=11696
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Jeremy Schiffer
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Corlane Custom Cabinetry LLC

Post by Jeremy Schiffer »

I tried that, Forrest, and it wasn't pretty. :lol:
The bit grabbed the plastic and yanked it off the table and made an 18,000 rpm noisy, vibrating helicopter! Scared the you-know-what outta me... :oops:
http://www.corlanecabinetry.com

Intel Core i7-5820 3.3GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
CS-41 4x8
CS-45 5x12
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

The reversing operation requires that you use a reversed thread tool holder. Dangerous at best otherwise to have all of the cutting forces trying to loosen your collar nut. I don't believe that there would be a way to selectively use that tool for certain cuts.

Dennis