Question about using custom cutters for mdf doors

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Question about using custom cutters for mdf doors

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Has anyone tryed using pockets created in ecab to cut mdf doors with 3 custom cutters?
I have done this with a dxf file created in sketchup just to see the results. I have been using centerlines with this software but canot apply constraints so I have to resize all the paths for each door size.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Question about using custom cutters for mdf doors

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Scott,

This is a door created from a cabinet with everything deleted but the back. I created three tool paths and cut pockets. I can now contrain the tool paths and re-size the door in batch to nest them.
mdf.jpg
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Kerry Fullington wrote:Scott,

This is a door created from a cabinet with everything deleted but the back. I created three tool paths and cut pockets. I can now contrain the tool paths and re-size the door in batch to nest them.
mdf.jpg
Have you cut this door using 3 cutters or are you modling? The dxf file I cut using pockets I used a 1.5 cutter for the panel raise,a .875 cutter for the bead on rails and stiles,a .125 cutter to square the corners. The pockets were 5/16wide,3/16wide,3/32wide.I adjusted the dia. for each cutter.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Scott,

I was wrong, they won't profile in the nest. You should be able to assign a custom tool to each cutting region in the profile modeler but then you are back to doing one door at a time.
I will have to try it next time I am at the machine. (I am cutting on another shop's machine which is 90 miles away)

I just started learning Paneletrix software this morning. This is probably still the best bet for producing mdf doors.

Kerry
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

I agree about panelmatrix and it is probably a good investment if we were cutting doors daily. I was just wanting to see if any one has tried this work around using ecab.hoping to avoid wasted time testing. Maby Monday I can talk the boss into giving it a try. Another note if you plan to try it yourself I had to make two pockets for each cutter and overlap them. again this was a dxf file I am working with not ecab. If you woul like I could try to post the dxf file I used.
Thanks for your help.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Scott,

I don't think you will be able to overlap the tool paths in eCabinets and make it work. Using the .dxf the overlapped paths are on separate layers. If you search these forums for mdf doors you will find much discussion about this. I don't think anyone has found a simple way to do what you are wanting.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Scott,
We have tried using the back of cabinet approach and it doesn't work for serious production work.
We are thinking about panel matrix as well but I'm waiting for Kerry's report plus have a few other expenses to get rid of first.
There are a few features missing that appeal to me and that is slicing up the drawer front design from one pattern to obtain individual drawer fronts and a flip operation for drilling for metal sided drawers.
I am not sure if you can select parts like the normal control and recut a door from the control nesting if its damaged or faulty. Not sure if he can predrill the handles either?

I'm sure this will be highlighted by Kerry or any panelmatrix users who read this post.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Kerry
Thanks for your input.
As for the pockets overlapping I was going off of the saction in ecabinets made easy where it talks about using the part editor to place geometry onto a part and how this geometry can overlap and then be used to cut pockets and through cuts.It also showed an example of a circle that was cut inside a square pocket.

To reply to Neville
I have serched this forum about mdf doors but have not come across any thing about using pockets instead of cutter paths.So I was just brain storming trying to increase production over modling. If this would work in ecab it would save hours not min. 2.5 min per square foot instead of 12 to 14 min per square foot. Again I would say that panel matrix would be a great asset for any production shop that has to produce large quantitys of doors on a daily bases.But we are not there yet.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Scott,

I don't think you can have two paths following the exact geometry, you would have to offset them a little. eCabinets won't select one path on top of another.

Kerry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Scott,

I tried offsetting the tool paths slightly and that worked in eCabinet. (you could use too offsets to counteract the paths if you needed to) I think this would allow you to choose the different regions in the profile modeler and assign a custom tool. I am not sure how much of a time savings this would be because you would still be doing one door at a time.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Kerry
You are probably wright about that I tried using a 1/64 gap between the pockets thinking that the over sized cutter would over cut the gap but the bit still left a small ridge between the pockets. again this was done late fri. eve. so I did not have time to try it in ecab. I am attaching the dxf file that have the pockets that resulted in the best cut for me. Maby it will help you see what I am trying to do.
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Scott Marshburn wrote:Kerry
You are probably wright about that I tried using a 1/64 gap between the pockets thinking that the over sized cutter would over cut the gap but the bit still left a small ridge between the pockets. again this was done late fri. eve. so I did not have time to try it in ecab. I am attaching the dxf file that have the pockets that resulted in the best cut for me. Maby it will help you see what I am trying to do.
sorry IT wold not allow me to attach the dxf file . I dont think we are on the same page about the pathes. I am not trying to apply profile cutters to cutter paths.Just a u shape pocket cut. for example 5/16 wide 5/16 deep one on the left side and one on the right side of the panel overlaping in the center by 1/8.Then set the dia. of my 1 1/2 cove cutter to 1/4 tell it to pocket only.Repeat each pocket for each profile needed.making sure to size them smaller for each cutter used so that it will not use the same cutter for all pockets.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Scott,

You can zip your .dxf file and attach it or you can just change the .dxf file extension to .txt and I will change it back. I would like to look at your file.

Kerry
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member

Kerry
Sorry it took so long to reply but the cyotie cought the road runner again.I will try to attach the file again.
Attachments
pocket mdf spec.zip
(734 Bytes) Downloaded 394 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Scott,
scott_01.jpg
That is a lot of tool paths.

What does the profile look like.