21%
I will likely use them at some point.
3%

Total votes: 38

jason galbraith
Company Name: Eastcoast Ultimate

Re: Drawer Front Fixing Bracket Holes for Metal Sided Drawers

Post by jason galbraith »

Yeah Dynaplan and other dedicated machinery works for doing the clips, but a dedicated dovetail machine is also a solution for doing dovetails, yet Thermwood has done away with that problem. What we want is to reduce anyone on the floor having to think. If they have to think, there's a greater chance of them stuffing things up. Not to mention the double handling issue.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
www.eastcoastultimate.com.au
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Hi Jason,
Yeah I understand what you mean about not having to think. Sometimes you can seen staff are here in body but not mind. That's somewhere you may not want know about.
I can see why some say use a separate drill press or jig to overcome this problem but just yesterday I saw one fairly switched on apprentice say someone must have changed the jig or dropped it because my fronts are not lining up. Not sure how much time he lost messing around with that but once that is done you then loose you full front adjustment on site.

In some ways, in my case it reflects back to Thermwood machine quality not so much Ecabinets software. We do make cabinet components to other cabinet makers and if drilled manually it looks a bit amateurish. My clients would have visualised all parts came off a cnc not a plastic Blum jig.

Regards
Neville
Neville Australia
Sean Jakob
Company Name: Sean Jakob Cabinets

Post by Sean Jakob »

Does anyone know why there seems to be no action or response on this one?????????????
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Sean,

This is what Rick had to say back in March
The drawer front holes, as well as other slide hole/mount pattern types, will be looked at in the future. No time table on this. We still got to get what we have fine tuned and running as solid as V5.2 did.
Maybe he has more on this now.

This is the last thing Ken had to say about the direction of eCabinets
6.4 is faster than the previous release. We didn't say anything about it because we still believe the system is way too slow. Speeding up the software is THE major task we are working on. We feel that our users will benefit more from a really fast system than from any additions we could add at this point. Dramatically improving performance is not a trivial task. It will take some real time and effort but in the long run it will likely have a greater impact on users than anything else we could do. It is possible that some of the new releases will have no other feature than it runs certain functions faster.
Kerry
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Hi Kerry, Thanks for your thoughts on where metal drawers and the drilling patterns on the drawer fronts are.

I am all for the speed up of the program but I really wonder if the time the programmers are going to spend could not be overcome by a simple upgrade of memory, solid state drive, i7 processor and Win 7. I think a few users have the i7 processor and win 7 and are happy with Ecabinets speed. I am sure they will correct me here. You have said memory is a issue for systems locking up but the new mother boards have more slots for memory to go way past 6 gig my old mother board has. I think win 7 has greater memory limitations. 64bit windows 7 is higher again.

Back to the front fixing. I think Sean said before that this item is more a program fix not a new feature so really should be on the fix list of the programmers current version. If the programmers looked at the poll it is quite impressive that such high percentage of Ecabinet users do use metal drawers. Once again I suggest they consult with a few Australian/New Zealand users that use thousands of Dollars of runners per month who own Thermwoods the best way to do this. They also need to keep in mind that this is face 6 operation for those using out sourced doors and Thermwood produced mdf doors.

Hope I haven't come across too pushy
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
jason galbraith

I can understand that Thermwood is working on the speed, although, i mainly use batch cabinets, so that very rarely affects me. What is interesting though, is the speed issue (i believe, correct me if i'm wrong) is further back in the code and the actual running of the program and how it deals with memory. The draw issue, is more of a program feature issue, and would relate more to .ptn files (again correct me if I'm wrong). The two issues, would, I believe need two totally different types of programmer to sort them out. Please feel free to enlighten me.
Core i7-2600 @ 3.70Ghz - 8 GB ram - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - 2 x 24" ASUS monitors - Nvidia 600 Quadro 1GB graphics
Sean Jakob
Company Name: Sean Jakob Cabinets

Post by Sean Jakob »

Excellent that the performance of the program is the main concern for the next update.

It is a shame however that the programmers don't have to deal with metal sided drawers in custom cabinet applications on a daily basis, because if they did, they would realise that they would get their biggest bang for their buck by fixing the drawer front drilling issue.

For those of us who battle with this every day, they know that I am correct in saying that this one item would save us (those who have to deal with metal sided drawers in custom cabinet applications on a daily basis) far more time (making the program much faster) than tweaking the code to improve overall program performance. It would sure take the programmers a insignificant fraction of the time too.

Have done some programming myself I'd say, 4 hours of programming time MAX.

PS. I would be more than willing to work for Thermwood for free to get this done. LOL

BTW. eCabinets is an awesome package, keep up the good work guys and don't let my bitching sound like I don't appreciate what you have given to all of us.
jason galbraith

Whilst drilling holes for dadoes would be great, I keep harking back to this thread, about a feature that is desperately needed. Please, please, please get the metal draws side sorted out before any other. Come and work with me for a few days, and you will see what a massive issue this is for those of us who use these systems.
jason galbraith

Re: Drawer Front Fixing Bracket Holes for Metal Sided Drawer

This problem still exists guys:) I told you I'd keep dragging this post to the top of the page until we got an answer.

cheers

Jason
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Yep, its time. We need a separate axis for back holes as well. What Kerry is attempting to do now is how I designed my contractor line a few years back. It is a pain and somewhat limited in resizing. I also lose some of the edits when doing material change sometimes.

Forrest
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

Yeah I agree this drilling needs to be done as it needs to be a flip operation to make it accurate. The problem with out sourced drawer fronts is how to do this. As you only have limited up and down adjustment the drilling needs to be accurate. Getting the drawer fronts set up perfect on the bed is something we have problems with.
It would be great if someone at Thermwood would say this " feature" is making it into the next version of Ecabinets which must be getting close..

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
jason galbraith

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaack! Yes! Draw front hole boring! We still need it desperately! Not just "Oh, that would be a rather nice idea" I mean "Holy whacking doovalackies*, I could absolutely go absolutely troppo* on the next person who asks for a variation on their kitchen and I have to manually put constraints back in for each draw front" type of desperation. Please,please,please....

*gotta love aussie linguistics.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member

There is some goods news here Jason. Stay tuned to the bat channel for more info soon.
Neville
Neville Australia
jason galbraith

Whatchoo talkin bout Neville :?:
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Like he said stay tuned.