Problem trying to load job

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

John Hartman
Company Name: Cabinetry GreenO4OJ LLC

Problem trying to load job

Post by John Hartman »

Hi all this is my first post here. I've been using ecabinets along with a Shopbot for a few months know and have error which has not come up before when I try to load a job. In this case I was trying to load a small kitchen project with about 20 different cabinets. A few seconds into loading the job I get several errors; about 30 one right after another as you hit "ok". The error message reads something like this; "Error can't find a tool to fit in pocket operation for "error #" then "part name".

After I've clicked through the error messages the job will finish loading/nesting. I have carefully reviewed each sheet as best as possible and can't see anything that ready looks out of place or missing. I'm guessing that what ever the issue that I can't find out which cabinet or part that "error #" is referring too..? I use a .25 bit to do all the pockets and cutting. I have learned to make sure that all dados and tenons are wider than the bit; so I'm very confused as where there would be an issue for the bit to not be able to fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Gary Campbell
Guru Member
Company Name: ShopBot Tools Inc

Re: Problem trying to load job

Post by Gary Campbell »

John...
Usually this is a result of a pocket, dado (tenon, pocket or full) or hole that is narrower than your smallest tool. Often a dado % that results in a dado width less than your tool due to a decrease in material thickness going to the TWD. You can get the info for this part and pocket geometry number from the error message and chase it down in eCabs nest diagram. (usually) If you can get it narrowed down to 1 cabinet, it is fairly easy to diagnose.

The quick math is dado % (as decimal) times adjusted material thickness.

I say usually, because I just had this happen on a single cabinet. As far as I know, my dados in question (2) were both .25 wide and deep and I do have a .248 tool defined. I have sent the hsj,twd and export to TWD a couple days ago, but havent heard anything back. You should do the same in case we have some combo of settings that returns the error. Hopefully they will get to it in the near future.

Another vote for fixed dado width? :wall:
Gary Campbell
ShopBot Tools Production Support

ShopBot (eCabinets) Link Training & Support
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

We had this happen when adjusting the material thickness from 3/4" down to 18mm when writing the TWD because we had the Tool Group Tolerance set too tight. (the cuts happen to fall into that void where the tool sizes would not overlap as tolerances were too strict)

It is worth a try. Set a big tolerance and if that fixes it work your way back down to something that you are comfortable with.

Kerry
Gary Campbell
Guru Member

Post by Gary Campbell »

Kerry...
I have been running for a couple years using .003. How large could/should I try?
Gary Campbell

John Hartman
Company Name: Cabinetry GreenO4OJ LLC

Post by John Hartman »

My job is a mix of .75 and .5 material. I have the .75 resized at .72 and the .5 resized at .475". Dados are set @ 50% , Depth clearance @ .02" and Fit clearence @ .015". The .5 or (.475") material is only for backs and is full dadoed in the sides. So the set-up and math should equal plenty of room for a .25" bit to get into. I must have a combination of jointry that is intersecting in such a way to create the error.. :?:

I renested the job to find the individual part numbers; where exactly can this be found? I see the dimensions, depths, etc. But no part numbers.

I will check the "tool group tolerance" when I get to the shop, but having just finished a job a couple of weeks ago and didn't change anything in those settings..
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gary,

Try something really big like 0.15 and see if that allows the nest then work your way back to the .003 until it won't nest again.

Of course if it nests at .015 you might look at what tool it is picking up.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

I think our original problem was cause by changing thickness on a back material with a 50% tenon and with the thickness change the tenon groove fell into the tool overlap void. A quick fix was to change the back tenon settings to 60%.

Gary you might look at your actual tool sizes and see if the .003 allows them to overlap so the machine can find a tool.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gary,

Try removing part editor cuts on your cab. I think it might be the groove you have in the sides that is causing the problem. THM picked up a 5mm tool to cut this
Gary Campbell
Guru Member

Post by Gary Campbell »

Kerry...
This job was designed with .746 material And changed it up to .775. And also tried no change. Also change mtl then (no chage and OK) (all going to TWD)

Aslo tried taking the tooling allowance up to .15 incrementally to no avail.

All the tenon dados nested and cut fine. The problem, as you suspected was the PE dados. Apparently a 1/4 deep, 1/4 wide 14" long dado on 2 sides is to complicated to cut. I was able to install a fixed, full dado shelf from 1/4 nocut and get my little dados cut.

Seems every time a new job comes along, a new bug comes with it that turns it unprofitable. 3 hrs of dinkin around to design and toolpath a job that cuts in 9 minutes. Anyway, the files have been dropped in the black hole. We'll see if there is a fix.
Gary Campbell

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gary,

I tried the material thickness change that you posted and it still processed the cabinet with no problems.

It did pick a 5mm tool to cut the .25 wide part editor cut as I told you on the phone.

Maybe Thermwood will shed light on this.
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Did I miss a job file that was posted with these issues? I'd be willing to give it a try here and see what I can find....
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Gary Campbell
Guru Member

Post by Gary Campbell »

Josh...
Actually 2 jobs. 1 from me and one from John. They may or may not be related, but returned similar errors. Since we are both SB Link users, jobs were not posted. Kerry was able to nest mine, and I replaced my PE dados with a full dado "nocut" fixed shelf and was able to cut it. Time will tell if this is a design, user or SBLink issue.

I am sure that John has found a workaround also.
Gary Campbell

Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Could this have anything to do with the fact that Part Editor "dadoes" (or rectangular slots) are treated as pocketing operations and are not identified and processed as actual DADOes? (As I believe is the case with all PE operations except circular holes.)

By that I mean, is there some issue with the pocketing settings and or internal pocketing routines in the SB Link?
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Brad,

That may be it. i have both my 1/4" compression and the 5mm set to pocket maybe Gary doesn't.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gary,

I unchecked Pocket for my 1/4" and 5mm tools in Tool operations and I now get errors when nesting your cabinet.