Windows 7 Slowdown

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Karl Shikles
Company Name: Karls Custom Cabinets

Windows 7 Slowdown

Post by Karl Shikles »

I was having trouble with ecabinets crashing when I was using windows vista. I upgraded to Windows 7 per the advice of a friend who works for Microsoft and claimed that the upgrade should solve the problem. I did so, and now the features that I used before seem to run excrutiatingly slowly. I even turned the detail levels to the lowest settings. I understand that my system is rather light...but should it have actually SLOWED with the upgrade to Windows 7? Is there a fix for this? Thanks for your time. I am posting my system's details below:

Windows 7 Home Premium

System:

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit Operating System

I don't know where to look for info on the graphics/video card...
Karl Shikles

Re: Windows 7 Slowdown

Post by Karl Shikles »

Ah...

Graphics:

Display adapter type Mobile Intel 45 Express Chipset Family

Total graphics memory: 1695 MB
Dedicated graphics: 64 MB
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Dedicated, Open GL based video cards work the best. They give you the performance needed for smooth operation of the program. There is a recomended computer spec at the Ecabinet Systems website.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Karl,

Rick is correct about the graphics card. You are way underpowered there. Windows 7 is probably making more demands on your system than Vista did and that is causing the slowdown. You really need a graphics card upgrade but it sounds like this may be a laptop and you will most likely not be able to do that.
Karl Shikles

Post by Karl Shikles »

aarggh!! windows 7 is supposed to be LESS demanding, isn't it? Good thing I just bought it with some Best Buy credit I had laying around. I'd be mad if I actually shelled out cash for it. Yes it is a laptop that'll be three years old after new year's. I plan on getting a big beefy desktop, too after some of these jobs actually pay, so that should probably run ecabinets easily.

So, for the record, there are no tricks in ecab settings or the windows control panel to make the manipulation in the cabinet editor go more smoothly? Thanks again for your help.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

With only 64 mb dedicated on your graphics card, there is not much you can do.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

You can't just take an old computer and stick Windows 7 on it and expect it to work properly. You need a new computer with a mother board and Graffix card designed to take advantage of the new Win 7 technology. Take a look at the Computer specs on the bottom of my post. No tricks needed this configuration works. Actually this machine does not need Windows 7 to get the most out out of E Cabinet. I have Win 7 pro and XP pro both installed on the same CPU. I use XP most of the time.
By the way KEG stands for Kipp Edward Gorinski a fellow Ecabinet user
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram