Table Board Material

Discuss Thermwood 3-axis Machinery, Controller, and Software.

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Jim Bullis

Wayne Adelkopf
Company Name: Noble Woodworks Inc.

Table Board Material

Post by Wayne Adelkopf »

I have a 61x121 table and need to replace the Table Board. Is there a special MDF used for Table Boards? Also, does anybody seal the edges to achieve greater vacuum?
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Re: Table Board Material

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

Wayne Adelkopf wrote:I have a 61x121 table and need to replace the Table Board. Is there a special MDF used for Table Boards? Also, does anybody seal the edges to achieve greater vacuum?
See these posts -- http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... MDF#p65439 .
Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Post by Gerry A Brown »

There seems to be some confusion because some people have a table board that they do not cut into and use a carry or waste board that they do cut into on the top of the table board . While other folks use just the table board as the waste board. I think with the larger table the carry board makes more sense as you can use a board the size of the sheet stock you are cutting & avoid handling the large spoil board. I think sealing the edge of the 5 X 10 spoil board is a good idea. I think the carry board should be 3/8" before facing. If you are using the carry board the lower density spoil board seems to make sense but I have been unable to find any low density MDF the size of my table.

Gerry
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Gerry,
The low density "carry board" or wasteboard (as opposed to the spoilboard) does not hold up well at all from our experience. But you are correct about sealing the edges, we put three coats of sealer on the edges of our spoilboard and that seems to help. We do not seal the edges of the wasteboard, we go through them too quickly and it does not have much of an effect at all. Another choice for sealing the edges of the spoilboard could be to iron on some melamine edging, only because it's too big to handle through the edgebander (5x10).
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Gerry A Brown
Company Name: Old Style Woodwork

Post by Gerry A Brown »

Hi Josh,

Have you tried a light weight table board with a standard weight waste board? This is what I thought would work but have not been able to find the light weight MDF in my table size.

Thanks
Gerry
Josh Rayburn
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Halls Edge Inc

Post by Josh Rayburn »

Yes look at the link in Wally's post
jnr
Josh Rayburn
Hall's Edge, Inc.
CNC Machining Service

Dell Precision T3400
Win7 Professional 64 Bit/Core2Duo E8400 3ghz/4 GB Ram/NVIDIA Quadro FX570
Ryan Hochgesang

Post by Ryan Hochgesang »

Thermwood can supply the table or wasteboard per Thermwood machine model you have. You can contact service with your specific machine number for ordering (email: service@thermwood.com). Along with the suggestions of sealing the sides of, I've also seen that flycutting both sides of the table or wasteboard helps to improve flow.