post form tops

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

post form tops

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Hase or does any one use there router to cut post form tops example 45 deg. angles sink cut outs etc.
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Re: post form tops

Post by Neville Bastian »

yes scott. We are doing this a few ways using a Gcode program for doing Masons Mitres and basic retanglular holes. If more involved we use the profile side of Ecabinets or a CAD based program as the contoller accepts DXF files. Many like the DXF side as its fairly quick and unlimited what you can do. We continue with the Gcode route as its quicker than waiting for my Detailer to do the dxf sketch. We also have started cutting Corian on the Thermwood which saves a lot of time and allows you to optimize for best recovery. This we do in Cad.
Hope this helps.
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Brenda Hallman
Company Name: Northlander Industries

Post by Brenda Hallman »

We use AutoCAD to create .dxf files to cut on the router. We specifically purchased a 5' x 12' table for the countertop reason. In our application (mobile home industry) we rarely have a need to do larger countertops. When we do then we get them mitrecut by a local company. We started doing sink cut out recently. Using a seperate layer in AutoCAD I create a dado for a handheld router with a bearing bit to travel around. I also provide a drill hole for the router bit to start at. The dado is located on the underside of the particle board. The arborite is laid up on the top side. The reason why I do not cut the sink out completely is because we want to have maximum stability of the coutertop until it is ready to install. Then when the sink is ready to be install the handheld router is put into the drill hole and ran around the outside of the dado. PRESTO, sink hole (if programmed correctly) is in the perfect spot every time. The amount of time that it takes to draw this dado will never amount to the time it would take to lay up a new countertop. :D The only downside is now the sink installer forgets how to center a sink if 1 is needed in a hurry :wall: ...LOL...progress is a tough learning curve!
Scott Marshburn
Guru Member
Company Name: Heritage WoodWorks

Post by Scott Marshburn »

Ok I see that you all are cutting counter tops on the router but how do you hold them down and what lingth cutters are you using most of our post form tops come with a 3.5 to 4in. back splash. Also what about the grooves for the draw bolts in the mighterd cuts? I understand the need for the dxf files as it is much easer than ecab. But would it not take a 5 or 6 inch cutter to cut trough a 3 1/2 to 4 in. thick top? do the tops that you are cutting have back splashes on them?